Autistic Film Research - How we view society?

Hello,

My name is Tom, I am an autistic filmmaker who is currently making an art exhibition for my masters about the use headphones as a barrier to society from an autistic eye and I am portraying society in how it is viewed without headphones - from an autistic perspective - and then the more comfortable viewing of the world through listening to headphones.

I know personally without headphones I really struggle with eye contact - as the pupils seem to burn mine - and hate queuing or people approaching me.

So I was wondering what other people struggle or dislike when out in society as I would like to include these suggestions so as to create a more rounded piece and not just about my feelings when I have no headphone barrier to the world - it could be anything from people eating to staring to all sorts I would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks everyone,

Tom

Parents
  • I think the supermarkets versus arcades thing is about control, or predictability of noise. It isn't just about volume, its about complexity and the unexpected.

I managed to cope reasonably well with nightclubs because the music, though I don't like loud, was predictable and drowned out everything else. I also like good street cafes, especially good Italian style ones, because the noises are homely and comforting.

I suspect the noise in arcades is predictable, familiar, even quite joyous....clunking money, predictable background music, regular mechanical responses and electronic bleeps and soundbites. Also people tend to stay put, rather than milling around.

Now supermarkets are altogether different. One of the things I've often done is find somewhere to sit or stand and listen, to see what the issues are - lots of people everywhere, fridge motors, ringing tills, air conditioning, ouside noise especially when the automatic doors open, people shoving around trollies, odd smells - it is all unpredictable, alarming, unsettling,  - it never gets familiar or comforting - always jarring, oppressive, especially stuck in queus at the till, where you cannot get away from immediate proximity to the uncomfortable or threatening.

Hope that helps mumofboys772. For TomChimiak I really recommend finding somewhere to sit and listen in environments you find hostile, and analyse you feelings with and without the headphones. Knowing your demons helps. May give you some ideas.

• I think the supermarkets versus arcades thing is about control, or predictability of noise. It isn't just about volume, its about complexity and the unexpected.

I managed to cope reasonably well with nightclubs because the music, though I don't like loud, was predictable and drowned out everything else. I also like good street cafes, especially good Italian style ones, because the noises are homely and comforting.

I suspect the noise in arcades is predictable, familiar, even quite joyous....clunking money, predictable background music, regular mechanical responses and electronic bleeps and soundbites. Also people tend to stay put, rather than milling around.

Now supermarkets are altogether different. One of the things I've often done is find somewhere to sit or stand and listen, to see what the issues are - lots of people everywhere, fridge motors, ringing tills, air conditioning, ouside noise especially when the automatic doors open, people shoving around trollies, odd smells - it is all unpredictable, alarming, unsettling,  - it never gets familiar or comforting - always jarring, oppressive, especially stuck in queus at the till, where you cannot get away from immediate proximity to the uncomfortable or threatening.

Hope that helps mumofboys772. For TomChimiak I really recommend finding somewhere to sit and listen in environments you find hostile, and analyse you feelings with and without the headphones. Knowing your demons helps. May give you some ideas.

Children
No Data