Horizon about Autism Did anyone watch?

I watched a Horizon programme about Autism.

What I liked about the programme was it made clear that most people do the things that Autistic people do.  It is just that Autistic people do those things more than so called NT people.  I do not know what NT means.

There are plenty of people with Social problems who are not Autistic.

There are Mentally Ill people.

If one is blind or deaf it must be more difficult to have Social Skills.

It also said that one gets diagnosed if the clinic you goes to agrees that you are Autistic.  It is a question of chance.  I got my diagnoses as when I was nineteen a Consultant Psychiatrist visited us and said that I was Mildly Autistic.  That was in 1976 and that was the equivalent to Asperger Syndrome.

David 

Parents
  • I thought nowadays they tell almost any one their diagnoses apaart from Children..

I think the law was changed in 1998 that one has to tell the patient.

In 1990 it was different.

When my Father asked if I had been more strictly brought up whether I would have turned out better.  The Family Therapist said in a way she is not supposed to explain that I have Asperger Syndrome.  She did not think I should be told but my Mother did tell soon afterwards.   She was going by a remark by a Psychiatrist in 1976 that I have mild Autism.  After that Doctor Pat Howlin confirmed it.

As for EMPATHY.  I did those Empathy tests which were a waste of time as I have very poor perception.  I have been advised by someone one senior in the National Autistic not to have EMPATHY and to let a homeless women stay with me again who is homeless.  I think sometimes Autistic people have too much Empathy and allow themselves to be taken advantage of.

I expect some of the research on Autism is a waste of money.

Watched Horizon late at night and only took in a bit of it and did not listen to the Radio three programme.

David.

• I thought nowadays they tell almost any one their diagnoses apaart from Children..

I think the law was changed in 1998 that one has to tell the patient.

In 1990 it was different.

When my Father asked if I had been more strictly brought up whether I would have turned out better.  The Family Therapist said in a way she is not supposed to explain that I have Asperger Syndrome.  She did not think I should be told but my Mother did tell soon afterwards.   She was going by a remark by a Psychiatrist in 1976 that I have mild Autism.  After that Doctor Pat Howlin confirmed it.

As for EMPATHY.  I did those Empathy tests which were a waste of time as I have very poor perception.  I have been advised by someone one senior in the National Autistic not to have EMPATHY and to let a homeless women stay with me again who is homeless.  I think sometimes Autistic people have too much Empathy and allow themselves to be taken advantage of.

I expect some of the research on Autism is a waste of money.

Watched Horizon late at night and only took in a bit of it and did not listen to the Radio three programme.

David.

Children
No Data