Career disillusioned

I'm 45 and am awaiting diagnosis, next week. I'm totally disillusioned with my career and job prospects. I got a job as an apprentice gardener last year and I'm finding it totally exhausting due to it being really social, plus lots of changing groups and social scenes all the time. It's way too much for me to handle. 

I'm considering leaving at some point and possibly going self employed and get a sociable part time job perhaps one day a week so I don't become socially isolated. 

I have no idea if I am in the right career or not. All my energy goes on trying to psychologically survive my job and process supressed meltdowns and confusing and negative interactions in work and none on gardening. I hate it. 

When it comes to jobs do you guys find that it's best to just choose an easy and stress free job that allows you to live a nice stress free life outside of work? Rather than choosing your dream career? I've tried doing the dream career thing and I've found it's over rated and didn't provide me with the security I needed and I was unhappy. Im thinking that the path of least resistant might be the best way forward from now on. Every career option I choose seems to have major reasons why I cannot do it due to my autism.

Parents
  • I'm totally disillusioned with my career and job prospects

If you are up for it then we can talk you though a lot of the thought processes to find the right sort of role for you - it involves giving us some info (not personal stuff though) to help us shape the recommendations.

To start with, what are your pain points. For example:

- don't like to have to speak to people

- can't manage frequent change - work needs to be predictable

- don't like to travel for work

- don't like being indoors

- don't like noise

These will help rule out some types of jobs or narrow definitions of the roles.

Next, what things are you passionate about? For example:

- Like working with your hands

- Love trains

- Prefer to be outdoors

- IT literate and enjoy learning new skills.

With this we can suggest paths that will bring more enjoyment rather than just the wage-slave grind that the majority of us have to endure.

Why not give it a try - nothing to lose and lots to gain.

• I'm totally disillusioned with my career and job prospects

If you are up for it then we can talk you though a lot of the thought processes to find the right sort of role for you - it involves giving us some info (not personal stuff though) to help us shape the recommendations.

To start with, what are your pain points. For example:

- don't like to have to speak to people

- can't manage frequent change - work needs to be predictable

- don't like to travel for work

- don't like being indoors

- don't like noise

These will help rule out some types of jobs or narrow definitions of the roles.

Next, what things are you passionate about? For example:

- Like working with your hands

- Love trains

- Prefer to be outdoors

- IT literate and enjoy learning new skills.

With this we can suggest paths that will bring more enjoyment rather than just the wage-slave grind that the majority of us have to endure.

Why not give it a try - nothing to lose and lots to gain.

Children
No Data