Adult Woman Resources Help please

Hi. I am 63 and for a few years my son & his wife have told me they think I’m autistic. I know I am sensitive to noise & smells but just thought that’s me. I can also be blunt & direct (or as they say no filter) and I tell people oh that is just my weirdness. However, the other day a colleague asked me if I was. I asked her to tell me specifically why she thought that. As there is no point telling me you think, I am if you can’t say why?

since then I have looked into this a bit and can tick a lot of boxes and more things I do  make sense now. I will be visiting the doctor to see about getting diagnosed however wondered if any knew if a good book I could read about autism in women. 

by the way. Now I know what my ‘weirdness’ may be. It’s like my brains has said “finally, we are there Rolling eyes

thanks for you help 

Parents
  • Hi and welcome to the community!

Many of us here are late diagnosed, so you're in good company! :)

I recommend reading through the various resources in the NAS's recently revamped diagnosis hub:

NAS - diagnosis hub

They cover all stages of the process, with each section containing several articles relating to that stage:

• Before diagnosis
    • Assessment and diagnosis 
    • After diagnosis 

For example, these articles (from "Before diagnosis") would perhaps make for a particularly timely read:

NAS - Signs that a child or adult may be autistic

NAS - How to request an autism assessment

For those who live in England, it also includes information about requesting an assessment via Right to Choose (which enables access to private providers who might have shorter waiting lists than the NHS, but with your referral and assessment still fully funded by the NHS).

Examples of Right to Choose providers are listed here, for example:

ADHD and ASD assessment – Right To Choose

• Hi and welcome to the community!

Many of us here are late diagnosed, so you're in good company! :)

I recommend reading through the various resources in the NAS's recently revamped diagnosis hub:

NAS - diagnosis hub

They cover all stages of the process, with each section containing several articles relating to that stage:

• Before diagnosis
    • Assessment and diagnosis 
    • After diagnosis 

For example, these articles (from "Before diagnosis") would perhaps make for a particularly timely read:

NAS - Signs that a child or adult may be autistic

NAS - How to request an autism assessment

For those who live in England, it also includes information about requesting an assessment via Right to Choose (which enables access to private providers who might have shorter waiting lists than the NHS, but with your referral and assessment still fully funded by the NHS).

Examples of Right to Choose providers are listed here, for example:

ADHD and ASD assessment – Right To Choose

Children