Do I report additional diagnosis to PIP?

I have a current diagnosis of schizoaffective, autism and now ADHD - inattentive type.

I get PIP standard rate.

I know diagnosis doesn't matter. Many years ago, I applied and got rejected 4 times despite having a schizoaffective diagnosis. But the 5th time I applied, I got accepted for standard rate as I had recently had a psychotic episode. When it came up for renewal, I now had an autism diagnosis so I sent the report in as "evidence". Then now I have ADHD and although my claim has already been accepted at a standard rate PIP, do I report the additional diagnosis to them even if it does not matter?

• Hi Ruby. I've not applied to PIP for myself but I've gone through the process a lot with my wife. I don’t know if this is what you have done in the past but in my experience ( 1 dla assessment, 2 pip assessments) it goes like this:

1) DWP give you an unreasonable judgment, you request a reconsideration

2) The reconsideration makes no difference, you go to tribunal

3) The tribunal goes in your favour.

If you have the strength for it, I would always advocate tribunals, we've had 3 and won all of them. I would also strongly advocate getting external support if you can, it makes a world of difference. Don’t assume their assessment is fair/right, the dwp lose 70% of their tribunals. Good luck.

• Oh PS- get feedback from any friends/family you trust. My assessment of what my wife is entitled to is very different to hers.

• Thank you @Bunny, I called them and they told me this could even result in the claim being lost, but I decided on going ahead and report changes.

• Then now I have ADHD and although my claim has already been accepted at a standard rate PIP, do I report the additional diagnosis to them even if it does not matter?

The government website appears to offer potentially conflicting advice on this, so I'm not sure.

1. The PIP page explains that, among other (unrelated) reasons:

"You must contact the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) enquiry line straight away if:

- you need more or less help with daily living and mobility tasks
    - your health professional tells you that your condition will last for a longer or shorter time than you reported before"

On this basis, you might not feel that you need to report it unless the process of getting your ADHD diagnosis has led you identify extra difficulties.

However, it then warns, very prominently:

"You could be taken to court or have to pay a penalty if you give wrong information or do not report a change straight away."

2. However, a different page advises that:

"Changes you need to report

Changes can include:

- any changes to your medical condition or disability"

And also warns: 

"If you deliberately do not report changes, you’re committing benefit fraud."

From: GOV.UK - Benefits: report a change in your circumstances

3. So I'd personally suggest that you seek guidance from Citizens Advice, although their own website does potentially point to what they might say:

"If you’re not sure whether to tell the DWP about a change

There are a number of other changes you should tell the DWP about because they might affect your PIP. If you’re not sure, it’s worth telling them anyway."

Citizens Advice - Reporting changes that affect your PIP