Diagnosed...now what?

I received my diagnosis for Autism this morning aged 33. Am told it will be 6-8 weeks before I get my full report, which will enable me to access support. 

Conscious I have a LOT of unmasking to come, as well as the task of 'coming out' to some family and friends. 

I'm interested to hear what immediate steps people took when processing their diagnosis. Did you find a therapist right away, did you wait? Same questions for telling friends and family. 

Parents
  • Welcome to the club!!!

Everyone on here has / is going through the same things as you are regarding their diagnosis. Some are further along that journey than others.

Try not to do what ifs, and if onlys.

As mark has said try not to but I know it is difficult not to do those things. So I will give you the best advice that I was given and that is to be kind to yourself, it's not your fault the way you are.

I was diagnosed at 53 and am still trying to process it. Some days are better but my masking is very high and sometimes I do panic about what others will think about how I act or appear but I am slowly realising in moments of clarity that I cannot control others so what the heck just be me and do not apologise for it. 

• One of the things I struggle with is explaining to others how it impacts me. They assume as I mask well and appear fine that "I'm fine" when it's the opposite most of the time as the masking is so tough on us.

Also hard to just stop masking and not feeling like I've been lying/hiding/deceiving people. Although masking is not for gain, it's for survival.

• That is exactly what I struggle with and being able to articulate the impact.

The worst question to ask me is what is.......? insert wrong,  the matter, it that you want / need. I am struck dumb or splurge out some incoherent drivel.

• That is exactly what I struggle with and being able to articulate the impact.

The worst question to ask me is what is.......? insert wrong,  the matter, it that you want / need. I am struck dumb or splurge out some incoherent drivel.

Children
No Data