Adult assessment waiting times

My 27 year old son has so far waited 4years and 6 months for an autism assessment with no signs of getting it anytime soon. We live in west sussex just wondered if its really usual to have to wait this long. I've tried to contact them several times but they will not discuss waiting times. I've also been in touch with PALS who do look into it but we just get a generic reply saying they can't discuss waiting times. I'm at a loss as to what to do. He has severe social anxiety so can't work and won't leave the house. I feel like I've let him down . Any advice? I'd be really greatful.

Parents
  • Hi and welcome to the community!

In my area, the NHS diagnostic service also doesn’t provide waiting time estimates - and, from what I've seen from others' posts here - most or all others don’t, either.

Your son might like to talk to his GP about switching his referral to the Right to Choose (RTC) pathway. RTC enables him to use an NHS-approved private provider of his choice, which could result in a significantly shorter waiting time.

In my case, after waiting on the NHS list for two years, I was referred by my GP to an NHS psychiatrist for medication reasons. He’s the one who told me about RTC. I switched pathways and was assessed and diagnosed within just a few months.  

You can find more information about RTC here:

NAS - What is 'Right to Choose'?

This website (for example) lists some RTC providers along with website links:

Memorial Medical Centre - ADHD and ASD assessment – Right To Choose

• Hi and welcome to the community!

In my area, the NHS diagnostic service also doesn’t provide waiting time estimates - and, from what I've seen from others' posts here - most or all others don’t, either.

Your son might like to talk to his GP about switching his referral to the Right to Choose (RTC) pathway. RTC enables him to use an NHS-approved private provider of his choice, which could result in a significantly shorter waiting time.

In my case, after waiting on the NHS list for two years, I was referred by my GP to an NHS psychiatrist for medication reasons. He’s the one who told me about RTC. I switched pathways and was assessed and diagnosed within just a few months.  

You can find more information about RTC here:

NAS - What is 'Right to Choose'?

This website (for example) lists some RTC providers along with website links:

Memorial Medical Centre - ADHD and ASD assessment – Right To Choose

Children
No Data