Do you think it is possible to change my special interest?

I know that special interests can change over time, but do you think it's possible to choose to change your special interest? Current special interest causing a lot of pain :-(

Parents
  • Sorry for replying in two parts - my grocery delivery arrived, so I had to cut my first reply short.

It was preparing for my autism assessment that prompted me to calculate my spending on my then interest (a mobile / tablet / computer game), which had lasted for many years. One of the pre-assessment questions asked what my hobbies / interests were and how much I spent on them. So, obviously (autism, duh), I had to calculate it accurately.

In fact, I'd already recognised that that particular special interest was, by then, doing me a lot more mental harm than good. So it was a timely intervention that enabled me to make a conscious decision to step away from it. 

The game typically involved at least daily interactions (in order to earn / accrue all of the various in-game benefits, and driven in part by fear of missing out) - and often many more daily device pick-ups than that. So it wasn't an easy habit to break, as it had all become so very ingrained in my daily life.

However, once I'd decided to step away, I did so. It actually proved to be a huge relief, much more so than I could have imagined. That was around a year ago. I revisited the game a short time ago out of curiosity, to see how I'd feel. I was relieved to find that it no longer holds appeal for me.

• Sorry for replying in two parts - my grocery delivery arrived, so I had to cut my first reply short.

It was preparing for my autism assessment that prompted me to calculate my spending on my then interest (a mobile / tablet / computer game), which had lasted for many years. One of the pre-assessment questions asked what my hobbies / interests were and how much I spent on them. So, obviously (autism, duh), I had to calculate it accurately.

In fact, I'd already recognised that that particular special interest was, by then, doing me a lot more mental harm than good. So it was a timely intervention that enabled me to make a conscious decision to step away from it. 

The game typically involved at least daily interactions (in order to earn / accrue all of the various in-game benefits, and driven in part by fear of missing out) - and often many more daily device pick-ups than that. So it wasn't an easy habit to break, as it had all become so very ingrained in my daily life.

However, once I'd decided to step away, I did so. It actually proved to be a huge relief, much more so than I could have imagined. That was around a year ago. I revisited the game a short time ago out of curiosity, to see how I'd feel. I was relieved to find that it no longer holds appeal for me.

Children