Has anyone had an MRI scan before?

Hi sorry to ask this I don’t mean to cause offence. The reason I am asking is because I am having an MRI on Wednesday and I am absolutely terrified. I have been really ill having dizzy spells, headaches and sometimes vomiting. It’s like being drunk when I’m not. My friend who is also on the spectrum is taking me up in his car and is going to stay with me to offer support. The biggest issue is the dark tunnel and the noise when inside. I have had what I call freak outs which are mini metal downs over it. I have thought about cancelling but my friend keeps telling me don’t Rachel or you’ll regret it. I am going to take with me my favourite toy my pink squishmallow called cookie I hope that is allowed. If anyone wishes to share their experience with me I would really appreciate it. I am sorry for bringing a potentially sensitive topic up as well I wouldn’t have but I am really freaking out about this whole thing.

Parents
  • I've had a few. They aren't nearly as claustrophobic as you imagine. They are noisy but you are generally offered headphones that either play music or just deaden the sound. The radiographer will tell you how long it will take and do their best to keep you informed. Just keep your eyes closed and breath, it'll be fine.

The length of the scan is dependent on the areas your having scanned and if you are having contrast or not.

You'll have a call button for if you have a problem. Try not to move too much as it will affect the image quality and may need the scan to be redone, obviously this extends the time.

Make sure you arrive in plenty of time (do not be just on time) as theres a MRI safety questionnaire that they go through with you. Remove any jewellery or piercings you may have before you go. Dress comfortably (joggers and a tee) that have no metal ie zips,studs that includes under wire bra. This means you may not have to change into a gown which can save time and make you feel more comfortable. If you have and implants like pins/plates or any implanted medical devices like a pacemaker etc make sure you have the details with you.

They may not let you take cookie in with you as they can guarantee it is metal free, this could include metalic stitching or something else that could be in the filling.

An MRI machine is really just a really big magnet and may make you feel a bit warm but there's nothing to be afraid of. Radiographers do this all the time, they will be patient with you especially if you explain before hand.

The symptoms you describe are very familiar to me. Initially mine was caused by the SSRI I was taking in conjunction with stress. It's really disconcerting.

My wife is an MRI radiographer so I know the drill quite well.

• I've had a few. They aren't nearly as claustrophobic as you imagine. They are noisy but you are generally offered headphones that either play music or just deaden the sound. The radiographer will tell you how long it will take and do their best to keep you informed. Just keep your eyes closed and breath, it'll be fine.

The length of the scan is dependent on the areas your having scanned and if you are having contrast or not.

You'll have a call button for if you have a problem. Try not to move too much as it will affect the image quality and may need the scan to be redone, obviously this extends the time.

Make sure you arrive in plenty of time (do not be just on time) as theres a MRI safety questionnaire that they go through with you. Remove any jewellery or piercings you may have before you go. Dress comfortably (joggers and a tee) that have no metal ie zips,studs that includes under wire bra. This means you may not have to change into a gown which can save time and make you feel more comfortable. If you have and implants like pins/plates or any implanted medical devices like a pacemaker etc make sure you have the details with you.

They may not let you take cookie in with you as they can guarantee it is metal free, this could include metalic stitching or something else that could be in the filling.

An MRI machine is really just a really big magnet and may make you feel a bit warm but there's nothing to be afraid of. Radiographers do this all the time, they will be patient with you especially if you explain before hand.

The symptoms you describe are very familiar to me. Initially mine was caused by the SSRI I was taking in conjunction with stress. It's really disconcerting.

My wife is an MRI radiographer so I know the drill quite well.

Children
  • Thanks for the advice I have a purple tracksuit I can wear with no metal and do you know if you can request a woman to do the scan I don’t like men have a few trust issues and prefer women to handle me rather than men.