Dyspraxia

Hi everyone

can anyone explain dyspraxia to me, when I got my official diagnosis I was also diagnosed with Dyscalculia which I know is the maths form of dyslexia which I can relate to as I can’t read the clock, lefts and rights i can never get right and numbers are like a foreign language to me 

dyspraxia was also a diagnosis given to me and I know it’s because I was asked am I clumsy too which I said yes, as I’m always banging into things, yet I feel like it may be more so I just need a simple breakdown of what it is 

thank you 

Parents
  • I just need a simple breakdown of what it is 

The NAS's simple summary is:

"Dyspraxia is a neurological condition that affects physical coordination. It is also associated with difficulties in perception, language and thought.

Autistic people often have difficulties with motor co-ordination and, if they are significantly affected in this way, may also be given a formal diagnosis of dyspraxia. As with autism, people with dyspraxia may be over- or under-sensitive to certain sensory stimuli."

NAS - Dyspraxia

The NHS explains:

"Dyspraxia, also known as developmental co-ordination disorder (DCD), is a common disorder that affects movement and co-ordination.

Dyspraxia does not affect your intelligence. It can affect your co-ordination skills – such as tasks requiring balance, playing sports or learning to drive a car. Dyspraxia can also affect your fine motor skills, such as writing or using small objects.

Symptoms of dyspraxia can vary between individuals and may change over time. You may find routine tasks difficult.

If you have dyspraxia it may affect:

• your co-ordination, balance and movement
    • how you learn new skills, think, and remember information at work and home
    • your daily living skills, such as dressing or preparing meals
    • your ability to write, type, draw and grasp small objects
    • how you function in social situations
    • how you deal with your emotions
    • time management, planning and personal organisation skills

Dyspraxia should not be confused with other disorders affecting movement, such as cerebral palsy and stroke. It can affect people of all intellectual abilities.

NHS - Dyspraxia

• I just need a simple breakdown of what it is 

The NAS's simple summary is:

"Dyspraxia is a neurological condition that affects physical coordination. It is also associated with difficulties in perception, language and thought.

Autistic people often have difficulties with motor co-ordination and, if they are significantly affected in this way, may also be given a formal diagnosis of dyspraxia. As with autism, people with dyspraxia may be over- or under-sensitive to certain sensory stimuli."

NAS - Dyspraxia

The NHS explains:

"Dyspraxia, also known as developmental co-ordination disorder (DCD), is a common disorder that affects movement and co-ordination.

Dyspraxia does not affect your intelligence. It can affect your co-ordination skills – such as tasks requiring balance, playing sports or learning to drive a car. Dyspraxia can also affect your fine motor skills, such as writing or using small objects.

Symptoms of dyspraxia can vary between individuals and may change over time. You may find routine tasks difficult.

If you have dyspraxia it may affect:

• your co-ordination, balance and movement
    • how you learn new skills, think, and remember information at work and home
    • your daily living skills, such as dressing or preparing meals
    • your ability to write, type, draw and grasp small objects
    • how you function in social situations
    • how you deal with your emotions
    • time management, planning and personal organisation skills

Dyspraxia should not be confused with other disorders affecting movement, such as cerebral palsy and stroke. It can affect people of all intellectual abilities.

NHS - Dyspraxia

Children
No Data