Conflicting needs- what’s reasonable?

Hi, advice needed!

I recently joined a social group for autistic people at my university, the first meeting was more enjoyable than I anticipated but I really struggled with one of the participants who had a loud voice. While I don’t want to expect other people to have to mask a lot in this situation, I definitely felt uncomfortable and found it quite overwhelming. 
Would it be reasonable to ask the organisers if they could speak to this person (who has been going for longer than I have/seems to have a good rapport with the organisers/staff) and ask them to lower their voice? I feel like an ass asking them to moderate themselves in a group like this but equally I’d really like to keep going (I have very few friends my own age) and don’t want to snap at them by accident.

(please note I don’t think I’m the only person who felt a little like this, several other people also became more open/talkative after they left)

Parents
  • I don't think it would hurt to have a private word with the organiser, to seek their opinion.

Otherwise - and whilst I appreciate you've already said that you don't think headphones would work in this situation - I'd encourage you to try using Loop earplugs. Some of their models are specifically designed to let speech or music pass through, but at lower volume. 

For this situation, I suggest trying Engage 2, which they describe as being "best for conversations, social gatherings, parenting and noise sensitivity" There's also a "Plus" version of Engage 2, with an accessory that can be clipped into the outer earpiece for greater noise reduction.

I have all three of the original Loop models and get on very well with them. There's also a newer "Switch" model that incorporates all three modes of noise reduction (which I haven't tried yet, as I don't get on well with small or fiddly control switches).

This is my referral link. Unimportantly, it could earn me some points if you use it. More importantly, it gives a 15% discount (excluding any bundle deals) Slight smile

https://rwrd.io/ztxx5i6?c

Loop has a 100-day returns policy "allowing returns for any reason within 100 days of receiving your item, even if used."​

• I'm looking at these now (with your code).

Reply Children
No Data