POLL - Are you an NAS member?

With the National Autistic Society's Annual General Meeting coming up in November, I was wondering how many of us here are members.

More information: NAS - Membership

Parents
  • Some thoughts behind my own reasons for having joined as an NAS member:

1. Although NAS membership isn't required in order to join this community, someone still has to pay for it - and, for me, being able to participate here feels, just by itself, worth the membership donation:

• Online forums aren't cheap to provide or manage.
    • Even our wonderful volunteer moderators and administrators cost the NAS around £1,000 each in training expenses.
    • And, as we all know, the NAS is investing in improving this community's software platform.

2. The benefits - to me personally - of being an NAS member, including:

• Receiving the quarterly members' magazine (which includes "expert advice, real-life stories of the challenges and triumphs, and features to support the autistic community") - I enjoy reading these.
    • Email updates.
    • Access to an exclusive, members-only Facebook group ("a great way to get in touch with autistic people, parents, carers, and professionals and receive and share advice"). 
    • Invitation to vote at and, if I want, attend (virtually / online) the Annual General Meeting ("At this yearly members and staff meeting you’ll get updates on our work and campaigns. There will be a Q&A session with our Leadership Team, free workshops, and an opportunity to vote on our future work").

3. Helping, in my own small way, to fund the huge range of services and help that the NAS provides to other autistic people and their families - as well as to employers, health and social care professionals, etc - along with campaigning and more:

The impact report is well worth a look for anyone who's not familiar with all of the charity's work. I personally feel very fortunate indeed that we have such a well-run charity advocating for us and our needs.

• Some thoughts behind my own reasons for having joined as an NAS member:

1. Although NAS membership isn't required in order to join this community, someone still has to pay for it - and, for me, being able to participate here feels, just by itself, worth the membership donation:

• Even our wonderful volunteer moderators and administrators cost the NAS around £1,000 each in training expenses.
    • And, as we all know, the NAS is investing in improving this community's software platform.

2. The benefits - to me personally - of being an NAS member, including:

• Receiving the quarterly members' magazine (which includes "expert advice, real-life stories of the challenges and triumphs, and features to support the autistic community") - I enjoy reading these.
    • Email updates.
    • Access to an exclusive, members-only Facebook group ("a great way to get in touch with autistic people, parents, carers, and professionals and receive and share advice"). 
    • Invitation to vote at and, if I want, attend (virtually / online) the Annual General Meeting ("At this yearly members and staff meeting you’ll get updates on our work and campaigns. There will be a Q&A session with our Leadership Team, free workshops, and an opportunity to vote on our future work").

3. Helping, in my own small way, to fund the huge range of services and help that the NAS provides to other autistic people and their families - as well as to employers, health and social care professionals, etc - along with campaigning and more:

The impact report is well worth a look for anyone who's not familiar with all of the charity's work. I personally feel very fortunate indeed that we have such a well-run charity advocating for us and our needs.

Children
  • Yep you definitely appear vastly more competent in expression than me [here from another thread .. apologies if this [and that] is unwelcome].. Respect! Thumbsup

I mean I don't mean to rain on their parade but I run an autism related forum and it costs me roughly 70£ a year. Now it fairness it gets much less trafic but still. ... I certanly don't need 1000£ worth of training ... but then I'm a one man band more or less. And one of the selling points of my forum is the light touch moderation where most things are allowed provided they're not illegal.

Access to an exclusive, members-only Facebook group ("a great way to get in touch with autistic people, parents, carers, and professionals and receive and share advice"). 

Fair enough but that's of less value to those not really intrested in online events ... at least if NAS has no local branch near them.

• I agree. This forum alone is worth the membership fee for me. The other stuff is just the icing on the cake,