Do you think ableism is taken seriously in the real world?

I wouldn't consider social media to be "the real world", personally. There's many things on there that are, for want of a better phrase, very "online".

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't even know of the word until 4 years ago. 

Parents
  • Generally speaking, people live in their own comfortable bubble, without giving even a passing thought to those who are different.

I wouldn't overstate the impact of this, but things have started to improve somewhat - with changes in the law and with some organisations taking their reponsibilities more seriously and taking some steps at least to root out the worst practices, and giving training to staff. Notwithstanding the positive steps I think there's still a widespread lack of understanding of the needs of disabled people and what you need to do to remove barriers. A lot of this is to do with stereotypical ideas of what disability is. Say the word "disabled" and people will tend to have a picture of a person in a wheelchair, imagine they know what their needs are, and assume that everything possible has already been done to accommodate their needs. People tend to think that they've done the disability thing by considering wheelchair users (they've put in ramps), those with hearing impairment (they've installed an induction loop system), those with loss of vision. But that only removes some of the obstacles for some users. The job is never finished because ultimately you need to consider how disabilities affect different individuals. It seems to be hard for that message to penetrate and I don't think a lot of people try.

• Generally speaking, people live in their own comfortable bubble, without giving even a passing thought to those who are different.

I wouldn't overstate the impact of this, but things have started to improve somewhat - with changes in the law and with some organisations taking their reponsibilities more seriously and taking some steps at least to root out the worst practices, and giving training to staff. Notwithstanding the positive steps I think there's still a widespread lack of understanding of the needs of disabled people and what you need to do to remove barriers. A lot of this is to do with stereotypical ideas of what disability is. Say the word "disabled" and people will tend to have a picture of a person in a wheelchair, imagine they know what their needs are, and assume that everything possible has already been done to accommodate their needs. People tend to think that they've done the disability thing by considering wheelchair users (they've put in ramps), those with hearing impairment (they've installed an induction loop system), those with loss of vision. But that only removes some of the obstacles for some users. The job is never finished because ultimately you need to consider how disabilities affect different individuals. It seems to be hard for that message to penetrate and I don't think a lot of people try.

Children
No Data