Do you think ableism is taken seriously in the real world?

I wouldn't consider social media to be "the real world", personally. There's many things on there that are, for want of a better phrase, very "online".

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't even know of the word until 4 years ago. 

Parents
  • Ideally I'd have liked a comprehensive assessment of my ability  at intellectual and practical things. From that, ideally help to  do better at the things I struggle with.  If still struggling then hands on help.  It's about striking a good balance  between doing too much for a person versus too little for a person.

Unfortunately it wasn't till I was 60, and moving to be near my daughter, that  it was recognised I wasn't an awkward so so with a major character defect. That was very much due to my daughter talking to mental health services here in Wiltshire before I moved there. She demolished a lot of long held inaccuracies about me that had been allowed to wrongly be accepted as 'truth's'.

The sooner you get the help needed to do  better at something the more effective that help is going to be. It's about providing an adequate level of help and support in an appropriate and timely manner. Help provided to 20 year old will be more effective than help provided to a 60 year old.

As  for 'ableism', I have no idea as to what could  be legitimately described as 'ableism' .  Whilst being more interested in what political parties stand for than the average person; I'm  not  heavily into  the 'politics of autism' (for want of a better phrase).

• Ideally I'd have liked a comprehensive assessment of my ability  at intellectual and practical things. From that, ideally help to  do better at the things I struggle with.  If still struggling then hands on help.  It's about striking a good balance  between doing too much for a person versus too little for a person.

Unfortunately it wasn't till I was 60, and moving to be near my daughter, that  it was recognised I wasn't an awkward so so with a major character defect. That was very much due to my daughter talking to mental health services here in Wiltshire before I moved there. She demolished a lot of long held inaccuracies about me that had been allowed to wrongly be accepted as 'truth's'.

The sooner you get the help needed to do  better at something the more effective that help is going to be. It's about providing an adequate level of help and support in an appropriate and timely manner. Help provided to 20 year old will be more effective than help provided to a 60 year old.

As  for 'ableism', I have no idea as to what could  be legitimately described as 'ableism' .  Whilst being more interested in what political parties stand for than the average person; I'm  not  heavily into  the 'politics of autism' (for want of a better phrase).

Children