Do you think ableism is taken seriously in the real world?

I wouldn't consider social media to be "the real world", personally. There's many things on there that are, for want of a better phrase, very "online".

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't even know of the word until 4 years ago. 

Parents
  • No I don't and I don't think most people ever stop to consider that trying to help and do everything for someone is unhelpful in itself, or that we don't need people to speak for us, although everybody may need an advocate at times. There are plenty of things a disabled person can do, if given a chance.

• No I don't and I don't think most people ever stop to consider that trying to help and do everything for someone is unhelpful in itself, or that we don't need people to speak for us, although everybody may need an advocate at times. There are plenty of things a disabled person can do, if given a chance.

Children
  • Yes, this doing everything for someone is terribly toxic. I help usually only if asked, some exceptions st work, but it’s different because I know my colleagues. Otherwise there are some situations when I see that something bad is gonna happen and the person there does not see it, so I react. 

• I just want people to listen and take me seriously. If they offer help (as opposed to just jumping in with it), then that's different, though it depends on the circumstances.