'Autism Friendly' Universities - Is there a list of them?

My 17 YO daughter is in year 13 and wants to attend university.  Is there a list of autism friendly universities at all?  She wants to become a Forensic Psychologist.

Parents
  • Hi and welcome to the community!

Theoretically, all universities should be autism friendly, as they would otherwise be breaking the law.

You - and your daughter - might find these NAS resources helpful:

NAS - Transitions England - Starting college or university

NAS - Transitions advice for other UK countries

NAS - Disability discrimination in further and higher education (GB)

They include advice about contacting any potentially preferred universities directly to ask about such things as:

• What knowledge and understanding the education staff have of autism and related conditions
    • What learning resources are available
    • What support or extra equipment or resources are available to autistic students
    • Your daughter's own strengths and difficulties
  • I went to Lampeter, or Trinity St Davids as it is now, it's a small university in a very rural area, I found it a nice place to be, with small class sizes, tutors who are interested and interesting and full of people of an alternative disposition.

• I also went to Lampeter at UWTSD. Completely agree with everything TheCatWoman said. I would recommend it as a great environment for people with ASD. The support staff were fantastic whilst I was there and I really enjoyed my classes in Philosophy. 

For Psychology within the UWTSD group, that would probably fall under the Carmarthen or Swansea campuses.

I would recommend checking out as many university open days as possible for your daughter to get a vibe for the right place for her.

• I also went to Lampeter at UWTSD. Completely agree with everything TheCatWoman said. I would recommend it as a great environment for people with ASD. The support staff were fantastic whilst I was there and I really enjoyed my classes in Philosophy. 

For Psychology within the UWTSD group, that would probably fall under the Carmarthen or Swansea campuses.

I would recommend checking out as many university open days as possible for your daughter to get a vibe for the right place for her.

Children
No Data