Recommendations for private autism diagnosis

Hi, first time on here. Our doctors suspect that our 19 year old daughter has autism. We’ve been told that the waiting list for NHS autism diagnosis is 4 years. I’m willing to pay for an assessment, can anybody recommend a private autism diagnosis group? Thanks, David

Parents
  • I’m being assessed by SEIK Psychiatry. They are reasonably priced (£650) and so far have been very professional and also very supportive. I had my first interview two weeks ago with a psychologist using the DISCO diagnostic test. He gave me extra time because I was talking so much! He told me I scored highly, ie likely to receive a diagnosis of autism. My second interview is tomorrow with a psychiatrist. Both interviews need you to attend with a family member or close friend who has known you over the years, but not necessarily from childhood. I’ll let you know how tomorrow goes, but so far I would definitely recommend SEIK

• I’m being assessed by SEIK Psychiatry. They are reasonably priced (£650) and so far have been very professional and also very supportive. I had my first interview two weeks ago with a psychologist using the DISCO diagnostic test. He gave me extra time because I was talking so much! He told me I scored highly, ie likely to receive a diagnosis of autism. My second interview is tomorrow with a psychiatrist. Both interviews need you to attend with a family member or close friend who has known you over the years, but not necessarily from childhood. I’ll let you know how tomorrow goes, but so far I would definitely recommend SEIK

Children
  • Hi Clarissa, sorry to hijack your comment. Just to add any extra info about SEIK.

I just did my second assessment with SEIK and they were really great. Very professional, calm and open about the process which was very helpful for me. 

There were some forms to complete which you do through a series of online portals which don't work well on a mobile phone, just in case you needed to do that. I haven't received my report yet but was told that I will meet the diagnosis criteria which was great because otherwise I would have been going out of my mind wondering about the result while I waited.

I attended both assessments with my partner who has known me for 6 years - I think this was just above the cut off point for how long the person must have known you. 

The assessments were both done remotely - they recommend that the person accompanying you sits in the same room as you for the meeting if possible. Each appointment has 90 minutes booked in, the first one I used the full time and then a little more, the second I didn't use as much but I felt it was a good amount of time and wasn't rushed ever.

They can also accept and review your own notes and things like reports or videos from school if you feel it will help illustrate things but note that if you submit these before the assessment there is a reading charge, if your assessor asks for them or agrees to read them in the assessment then there is no charge so I waited and asked the assessor if they would like me to send them through which he agreed to and I sent them after the session. 

I'd really recommend them and the whole process went from first contacting them to final assessment in less than a month which was ideal.

• I like the new profile picture, Clarissa! I am looking forward to hearing how you got on.