How clumsy are you?

I know that we can be prone to being clumsy (and why, and that I definitely am), but can still find it upsetting. 

Since my diagnosis, I've found it easier to just acknowledge - or even to smile or laugh about - the smaller examples. But my unending stream of clumsiness, together with the hassle of the bigger examples, still gets to me.

It started innocuously enough today: I somehow dropped my teabag on the kitchen floor, between taking it out of the caddy and putting it into my cup. One moment it was right there, between my thumb and fingers, and I was looking right at it. The next it was on the floor. I've no idea how.

Two hours later, one that I couldn't smile about: I was sitting in the living room, had a first sip from a cup of coffee, and then - in the process of putting it back on the side table - somehow knocked it over and spilled it all over the floor (including down the table, under the table, under the sofa, etc).

I thought it might be interesting or maybe even therapeutic to share some of our clumsiness incidents.

So, if you feel like sharing, how clumsy are you? And what are some examples - whether recent or old?

(Very importantly, I don't mean to be tone deaf with this thread in respect of those of us who routinely have more severe difficulties. I'm thinking about the situations that we think we've got covered, until it turns out that we haven't).

• I'm always propping things and spilling things, Even when I'm eating I'm always carful not to get anything in my beard, But it always ends up on my clothes lol. 

• Hello 507train,

I thought it was just me who struggled with touch screens. My heat pump works via a touch screen so I worked out I could just control it via the main power switch and avoid the screen. That is amazing you can play a guitar, I tried but struggled with the whole concept of one hand doing one thing and trying to do another with the other, too much!  

• Hello Nemo,

good to know there are others with dyspraxia who can ride a bike. All of my falls have been at low speeds. If you are able to then please feel free to ride with our local club sometime? 

• I tried riding a Cruiser BMX bike once. The cruiser bike is supposed to be more stable!

Sunday afternoon at the local BMX track, on the start line and away we go. Down the hill, over the first jump and SPLAT! What was I thinking? I still have the scars to remind me never to do that again.

As for mountain bike riding, forget it.

• I've lost count of the number of times I've fallen from my bike. I've fallen of going around corners and while riding in a straight line. During these falls I've had three near death experiences and two serious physical injuries. On the plus side I've had several rides in ambulances where I've been told by paramedic how unhealthy is cycling.

Ironically, cycling is my safe space.

I too have poor fine motor skills, there is an almost complete disconnect between brain and muscles.

In short, I'm very clumsy.

• I think my inate lack of balance and rhithym put paid to any chance of my learning to ride a bike, I was a late starter too which didn't help, I didn't try to learn until I was in my late 30's. I was so much taller than all my friends that I couldn't ride their bikes, they were just to small.

I did try to learn to dance, I did a belly dancing class and managed to get my boobs and bum shimmying on opposite directions, unfortunately none of it was in time to the music. People back away from me if I hit the dance floor, they want to pretend they don't know me as I flail about like an octopus who's had an electric shock. I couldn't even pogo in time with everyone else, I was always going up as they were going down and vice versa.

• I like to tuck my legs under as I sit down on the sofa - one time I lost my balance and hit my toes on the hard side of the sofa, then had to explain at work why I was having trouble walking and going up and down stairs. I think they all thought I was drunk, but I hadn't had a drop.

A few years ago I was walking to the shops with my partner. As we were about to cross a side road, I looked to the right to check for traffic and fell off the pavement into the road. Luckily I was holding his hand which broke my fall, but I still ended up with bruises.

As a child I took a long time to learn to ride a bike, couldn't catch a ball, and was always last to be picked for team sports.

Strangely, I did learn to dance (ballroom) - not sure how that happened!

• I refuse to go out in icy conditions

I had snow and ice grips, even then I still felt quite nervous.

• I opened and walked through a 15ft farm gate today, l now have a bruise along one side of my chest from the gate catch after I fell against it, 15ft just isn’t wide enough!

• It's not easy when inanimate objects gang up on you.

• I've been brutally attacked by my fair share of table corners and bed legs in my time. Door frames are particularly taxing. I'm more likely to encounter a viscous inanimate object when I'm tired, they are just drawn to me, they must sense weakness.

• I just opened an Amazon box holdiung a 24 pack of Lipton Ice Tea. The box ripped as I was picking it up and I nearly smashed my foot on it. I'm just glad it wasn't the other box with the 7up in it.

I find that when I try to do mundane tasks like simple cooking, I tend to make the same mistakes each time. The omelette will break in half, or my sauces come out all tasting the same because that extra thing it needed was the same extra thing I end up thinking every dish needs. Usually more garlic, pepper and tomato puree.

And I swear if I drop my PC mouse one more time...

• Wet wipes and a portable wet vacuum are a life saver. With a family gathering., someone will spill something when there is drink. Grabbing for a glass as it hit the floor is not a good idea.

• This thread came at such good timing for me. This is something I've been talking about a lot  recently with family. 

I have an awful habit of walking into things. Typically doorframes, tables, the corners of furniture etc. I usually hit my arms and legs in the process and they're covered in bruises. But recently I walked head first into a door frame and got a good bump on my forehead. 

Yesterday I dropped the iron on my foot and today I stood on a toy toilet of all things, right in the arch of my foot.

There isn't a day goes by where I don't injure myself somehow. 

But I too have the spilling drinks thing. I once tried to move my daughter's hot chocolate away from the edge of the table for fear of her spilling it. But instead threw it right over her (she was fine, it was cooled)

• Learning to ride a bike was tough but i got on a bmx at 17 and just pushed off and i was away ... exext to get going especially up uill i sometimes have to push over and over and over to get my balance so that's tough

Joy sticks are easier than controllers I'd say as it's a whole hand movement with just one button for a finger a controller is all fingers and both thumbs sometimes

I hate self service like tell me why as a cashier I can scan people's shopping fine but when I go in as a customer and am expected to be mu own cashier it wont work 

I tried to play a guitar strung for left handedness once but I play right handed so yeah that was baaadd

• Are you weirdly clumsy though? I once fell down a rabbit hole whilst thinking about Lewis Carroll, I didn't trip, they ground just caved in beneath me!

• Since ever I’m the main source of entertainment for my family for meeting all the edges wherever I go, losing balance and falling back on the sofa, when trying to stand up. I always find bruises on my body, I usually don’t remember when where and how I got them. I was also always the last one to be picked to team games at PE. Once a gynaecologist thought I am a victim of domestic violence, because I had 3 huge bruises on my legs. They had nothing to do with any violence. 

• I never know what hand to use and it's like it shorts out my brain, there are some things I'm left handed with like attempting to play a guitar, or any other musical instrument, somethings I can do with either hand and some again that I do right handed. I can't use a joystick or console controllers, partly because the just crash and don't work and partly because I can't master the controls. I've never learned to ride a bike, I have very little sense of balance. I'm also the person at the DIY checkouts in the supermarket swearing at the till as it refuses to acknowlege my existance, as soon as anassistant comes along it behaves perfectly, only to spitefully stop again as soon as her back is turned and she's helping another customer.

• I have dyspraxia but my old gp told me ita not an adulthood thing then tell me why i take so long to learn a new motor skill why am i such an awkwaed cyclist why do i struggle with skills that to the outsider seem like ive mastered such as playing guitar i have to play ina way that suits my dyspraxia also lead guitar is out of my skill set as its too fine motor based 

I am an avid gamer but prefer consoles as keyboard and mouse arent as easy for most game types unless its a point and click type game or just a keybosrd game

Touch screens are too fiddly for me half thr time as my hajd eye cordination needs the added help of a tactile button to feel around the kbaord 

Just the other day in work i tripped over a bright blue pallet i often bump the trollies on shelves and doors more ofyen than the otjer stafg

• Me too! Really big burns on my arms when I put a roast tin in and out of the oven. So many times. They look awful but I don't feel them. Weird Smile