What should I do when I know my autistic brother is suffering but declines any support?

My younger brother is autistic.  I suspected for a while that he is not okay.

He come over to my house yesterday and when I asked if he was okay, he said he was not, and then proceeded to say, "not that I will do it, but did you know that X amount of autistic people commit suicide?", he then went on to say that he didn't want to share what was happening because I wouldn't be able to help and he was "fine/not fine".  When I said that I would just listen to him to learn what was happening, and not offer any help, he declined once more because he said it would make things worse.

I know he's not sleeping well.

I am certain he needs support.

But I feel like ever offer seems to be declined immediately.  

There must something, or someone, that can help him and I wondered if any one could offer some advice?

I'm worried about him.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Parents
  • I think, hard as it is, you have let him know that you are willing to listen without judgement and have to give him the space for now. Maybe keep checking in, casually, but without necessarily referring to suicide. You could say that you are worried about him but realise that he is his own person and maybe wants to deal with things in his own way.

Perhaps, since he mentioned suicide statistic rates for autistic people, you could send him some positive autistic statistics, if you have that kind of relationship. My little sister is autistic, and before I was also diagnosed, our love language was sharing facts or just odd things we had discovered. It wasn't necessarily a conversation, but every so often I'd send her something and she'd know I was thinking of her. 

• I think, hard as it is, you have let him know that you are willing to listen without judgement and have to give him the space for now. Maybe keep checking in, casually, but without necessarily referring to suicide. You could say that you are worried about him but realise that he is his own person and maybe wants to deal with things in his own way.

Perhaps, since he mentioned suicide statistic rates for autistic people, you could send him some positive autistic statistics, if you have that kind of relationship. My little sister is autistic, and before I was also diagnosed, our love language was sharing facts or just odd things we had discovered. It wasn't necessarily a conversation, but every so often I'd send her something and she'd know I was thinking of her. 

Children