Trying to find work losing hope

I don't know what to do I've tried retail and can't cope with it I had to leave my last job because it was causing panic attacks and I wasn't treated well. 

I've got a head full of ideas for my own business but nothing solid and the job center is not only breathing  down my neck but my advisor isn't listening to me about what I can cope with and trying to force me into roles not suitable for my needs.

I want to work from home ideally that way I can be in my safe space,  have access to things like my sensory aids etc and be around my pets as I work. I also want to work from home as I can't take other staff members drama.

I keep getting the talk that I need to meet new people and be in a job where I make friends but I've been burned by people so much especially people I should trust.  I just don't have it in me to try make friends anymore, I just want to do my job and that's it.

I feel like I'm being backed into a corner and the closer my UC appointments get the more worked up I get , I just don't know what to do .

I want to make it clear because I know people judge those of us on universal credit that I do desperately want a job I just don't know what to do or how to deal with my advisor because I want a job I feel safe in and don't get hurt by other people again.

What jobs do you all have ? 

What Jobs can I look into from home? 

If I have to go out to work how do I cope ?

• Hi, Jodie. It makes me so mad when advisers seem to have no concept of what Autism actually means for us. It sounds all to familiar.

I work in Medical Administration. Basically just me and my computer. I do have to make phone calls to patients which is difficult for me. I also only work part time and have a work coach via the Access to Work Scheme which I find helpful. 

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work

The stuff with work colleagues in the office is also a stress on so many levels and I know that they think I am strange. 

I wish you well on the difficult management of negotiating UC and trying to stay well.

• You are not alone. I used to work 10 years  in retail, I hated that. So many people, noise, the stupid ads being played over and over again whole day, the entitled Karens, the managers breathing on my neck to smile, to make eye contact with every customer, to modulate the tone of my voice when I speak to customers and when I said I can’t do it because I concentrate on the task, on helping the customers with their questions, I hear that it’s something wrong with me. I graduated in logistics (bachelor of engineering) and I’ve finally got a job in this profession. It’s not super ambitious, actually below my qualifications, but I love it. Money is just enough to live normal life and make some savings, I have no customers, I have very few (male) colleagues and I have good relations with them, but mostly I just stay focused on my tasks. There are no dramas and gossips, we are direct with issues to each other. They are happy that I’m here and I’m satisfied with my job. It took me long time to figure out what suits me and to tell myself: no! You don’t have to be or do what others expect from you and you don’t have to listen their advice. I’ve also heard many times “go, meet people” and I always ended up depressed and asking myself what’s wrong with me. Is there anyone who could advise you about your future? About jobs, further education etc? 

• I am self employed as a domestic cleaner. I choose my own hours, choose who I work for,  and set my own rate of pay. This works for me because I can only work so many hours a week, or indeed consecutively, so I do a two hour shift in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. Some days I only work mornings. This allows me to pace my energy levels. I work on the same sort of tasks each week and can tackle them in the order I want.

Previous jobs I have had:

Waitress

As a cleaner for another company

Forest school assistant 

Local heritage tours

Various temporary acting jobs

Education assistant doing heritage workshops for school groups

Archives assistant 

Museum Curator

• I work in retail, I hate it. I don’t really get involved with any of the dramas, I keep myself to myself, do my work and that’s it. You don’t have to be friends with coworkers. I’m not, I do speak occasionally, but I just prefer to get on with my job and battle through it, because working in a supermarket can be a real tough battle. Like you, I’m trying to find another job which is gonna be beneficial to my mental health, but as it is I’m stuck there atm. Just wanted to say you’re not alone. 

• I have worked and like you, have suffered with fellow staff members. I cannot say that working helped me, far from it. I survive on benefits but am happy as I can be myself. I volunteer as a local litter picker, out on the country lanes so I am alone. Maybe volunteering is something you may consider? 

• On national online job advert boards you can filter adverts using terms such as "home based disability confident".

Some of the online jobs boards also include a "remote" filter so you can further limit the list to "remote" (home based) or "hybrid" (where you might consider a role part if the time at home and part of the time at the workplace).

On the UK Gov "Find A Job" website:

In the search box "Where?" (or in the Advanced Search "Location") you can select "Remote" or "Fully Remote". 

In the Advanced Search page you can type "home based" in the search field "Match this exact phrase".

On the Advanced Search page there is a check box you can select for Disability Confident (and an explanation of what it means).

Unfortunately, you might need some patience as it can be frustrating when (despite your thoughtful filters) the list might still unhelpfully include those jobs based from home, which are lone / remote workers ...but some of the listed jobs included actually involving you travelling from home to somewhere with lots if people to associated with the company's product or service!  Perseverance and experiment with permutations of the combined filter options may be required!

https://findajob.dwp.gov.uk/

I am always wary of suggesting lists of jobs suitable for Autistic people.  This is because Autistic people are such a diverse community of individuals - each with their unique combinations of: challenges, strengths, additional physical health / mental health / Neurodivergent features, energy levels,  and personal tastes / interests.

Instead; why not try asking yourself (and make a list to show / discuss with your advisor): is there anything which interests you, about which you are curious, an example if a good experience you would enjoy repeating, or a skill intriguing to you - associated with a set of likely workplace sectors or roles?

There are a few further UK Government initiatives / services which I wondered if your Advisor might have already suggested for you to explore?:

1) https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/

2) https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk//skills-health-check 

3) https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work 

It is not uncommon for Autistic people to have experience of Universal Credit (lots of fellow Autistic people really want a job ...one which plays to their strengths while appropriately supporting them - maybe enabled by reasonable adjustments - although that can be a hard won achievement for some and elusive for others - it is a very individual experience).

When thinking about the prospect of maybe having to go out to work, there are two guidance documents I have found useful (to broaden my thinking / understanding / experimenting with adjustments or strategies / self-advocacy - to better support myself in a workplace):

1) Autism Awareness in the Workplace by TUC Wales:

https://www.tuc.org.uk/sites/default/files/Autism%20Awareness%20in%20the%20Workplace%20FINAL.pdf

2) Supporting Neurodiversity At Work by AXA:

https://www.axahealth.co.uk/globalassets/corporate/pdfs/neurodiversity/supporting-neurodiversity-at-work.pdf

Best wishes for your job search.

• I am not working, so cannot help. But I just wanted to say, welcome!