Are there any unwealthy autistic persons here?

By that I mean those receiving universal credit/ESA or pension credit(if old enough). Those who live in social housing, and aren't well off enough to be home owners.

Parents
  • Some people living in social housing work, if they were wealthy workers they would buy private.

• if they were wealthy workers they would buy private.

Buying private doesn't mean you are wealthy though.

I agree that if you are 'wealthy' you might but then if you were wealthy you probably wouldn't need to work at all.

I think a definition of 'wealthy' is required in this thread and it will differ with each person's concept of it.

• My thinking was that wealth opens up choices and possibilities which if you are, or feel, poor or unwealthy, will not be available to you, in buying a home. 

I'm more interested in why the person who posted this wants to identify a particular (and potentially vulnerable) group of people based on money.

• My thinking was that wealth opens up choices and possibilities which if you are, or feel, poor or unwealthy, will not be available to you, in buying a home. 

I'm more interested in why the person who posted this wants to identify a particular (and potentially vulnerable) group of people based on money.

Children
  • That's not what I want  to do at all. It's more about the lack of shared experiences  that as a block can occur.

• But the premise of the thread is that you are wealthy if you own a home and/or don't get additional benefits when you work

Not so much 'wealthy' as comparatively less unwealthy. Yes on a individual basis there are those  who are home owners and workers who are struggling to make ends meet. Taken as a block though it would be wrong to deny that they are better off than those disabled people who live in social housing and are not in work.

• I don't think they meant anything bad. Struggling to find things in common

Thank you Mark.

I agree.

I think a few of us were triggered by this post (I notice one member's post disappeared).

There are actually a lot of members here who can't work and/or are on benefits and/or live in rented accommodation or with parents

• I don't think they meant anything bad. Struggling to find things in common.

• The thing with purchasing property is that you need a deposit and the deposit for me came from the traffic accident.

The actual cost of a mortgage can be commensurate with renting and renting can be more expensive.

The low interest rates of recent years have benefitted purchasers.

If you are wealthy, yes.

But the premise of the thread is that you are wealthy if you own a home and/or don't get additional benefits when you work.

My rent was cheaper than my mortgage when I bought my flat, and I was considerably poorer afterwards.

I was far from wealthy in Western terms.

Me too.