When was the earliest time in your life that you remember feeling different from the majority?

Mine was when I started school. I remember sitting on a table with other children.  I felt happy enough but then they all started what felt like a word dance that I didn't know the steps to and couldn't join in with.  I remember feeling very alone and confused and panicky..  I mayve had my first shut down. Felt like i was in a washing machine and sound became a background thing. Suddenly couldn't understand them. That feeling still comes in a group of people. 

What was your experience?

Parents
  • I think that it’s a wider experience and it’s similar to the gay community and coming out as gay - as far as some people of a certain mindset are concerned, those of us with autism should learn to be be seen and not heard, we do not have any right to form any opinions nor make any comments on any issues, because it is deemed that, on a common sense basis, that we do not understand (and need to be made to understand by means of ultra strict discipline) that we are always deemed to be wrong by default on every issue, in and on every level and in every way, because our condition stems from negative attitudes and stemming from other childhood issues - such people not only believe in the (rigidly enforced) “absolute silence of compliance and total obedience” for those of us with our condition, but they also believe and maintain that the only way to manage our condition is by the use of ultra strict discipline, either given in an autism “boot camp” or by means of a live in mentor/carer who is also a strict disciplinarian, who believes in “saving us from ourselves” and such an approach is deemed to be “for our own good” - since my diagnosis, these have been some of the reactions to my diagnosis that I have encountered 

• I think that it’s a wider experience and it’s similar to the gay community and coming out as gay - as far as some people of a certain mindset are concerned, those of us with autism should learn to be be seen and not heard, we do not have any right to form any opinions nor make any comments on any issues, because it is deemed that, on a common sense basis, that we do not understand (and need to be made to understand by means of ultra strict discipline) that we are always deemed to be wrong by default on every issue, in and on every level and in every way, because our condition stems from negative attitudes and stemming from other childhood issues - such people not only believe in the (rigidly enforced) “absolute silence of compliance and total obedience” for those of us with our condition, but they also believe and maintain that the only way to manage our condition is by the use of ultra strict discipline, either given in an autism “boot camp” or by means of a live in mentor/carer who is also a strict disciplinarian, who believes in “saving us from ourselves” and such an approach is deemed to be “for our own good” - since my diagnosis, these have been some of the reactions to my diagnosis that I have encountered 

Children
No Data