Burnout

Hi there, 

I have always known that I have high-functioning autism, but I’ve only just accepted it at the age of 27. This was forced following a bit of a meltdown and then entering burnout. 

I have only just discovered what burnout is in the last couple of weeks, but there is now no question in mind as to what it is I’m going through. Does anyone have any advice as to how to cope during this?

I find that I am getting a migraine every day that I try to continue normally, and only feel okay by the end of the day if I have done nothing. But doing nothing isn’t sustainable as I have to keep working and I need to cook and clean etc. I don’t want to take time off work as I will stress about it falling apart without me, but the migraines are making it very difficult to be productive anyway… 

Do I just have to ride this out? And if I do, when will it be over? Life is so much easier when I can mask.

Thanks 

Parents
  • It is diffcicult to balance self-care and trying to keep on working and doing daya to day things, isn't it. Have you got any annual leave coming up that you could take a break from work with?

I tend to find that reducing stimuli as much as possible helps with my autistic burnout. So working out the absolute minimum that I need to do in the short and medium term and the rest of the time focus on just staying quiet and doing things that I have found good for my energy levels, this includes spending time on my special interest. I tend to spend a lot of time listening to relaxing music and sometimes upbeat songs too as they seem to recharge me.

I hope you feel better soon. 

• It is diffcicult to balance self-care and trying to keep on working and doing daya to day things, isn't it. Have you got any annual leave coming up that you could take a break from work with?

I tend to find that reducing stimuli as much as possible helps with my autistic burnout. So working out the absolute minimum that I need to do in the short and medium term and the rest of the time focus on just staying quiet and doing things that I have found good for my energy levels, this includes spending time on my special interest. I tend to spend a lot of time listening to relaxing music and sometimes upbeat songs too as they seem to recharge me.

I hope you feel better soon. 

Children
No Data