Yet Another Suitable Job Question!

I know that the same old question about suitable jobs for autistic people comes up time and time again, so I apologise up front Smile

I'm in my early 50's and have always worked in IT, most often on the technical side (dev). I was pushed out of my previous job earlier this year due to my conditions (chronic fatigue, ASD, FND + more). That job was a mix of development and business analysis, working on a very niche technology. I loved that job, but I became unreliable, having to take a lot of time off and my boss didn't know whether I would be fit to work from one day to the next.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when I started a new job for a local authority working as a business analyst (no technical "getting your hands dirty").
I'm now starting to question whether being a pure BA is really my thing. Also, having always worked in the private sector, moving into local authority is a completely different beast (still not sure whether it is something that I will completely embrace or completely hate).

So now, after only a couple of weeks, I am starting to ponder whether I am in the right job, and if the answer is a resounding "No", then there are a number of barriers to me being a success doing something else, including...

• My health. I'm really struggling with mental fatigue
  • My skillset. Always been very niche and I am finding that there are is little to no demand for my skills & experience. Those technologies are used here and there, but they are maintained by cheap labour (read Asia, eastern Europe)
  • My difficulty picking up new skills (old dog & new tricks springs to mind!)

What I do excel at (or some may say, disabled by) is my attention to detail.
I'm your typical grammar police guy, but I do manage to exercise self restraint rather than pulling people up on social media regarding their inability to distinguish between "there, their and they're" or "lose & loose". Nonetheless, it does really trigger me in my mind and it distracts me from the bigger picture (I struggle to understand a piece of text because I am too caught up on what to me is a glaring error).

If you've got this far, thank you for hearing me out - hopefully you cam give me some pointers?

Parents
  • How about a complete change of direction?

I left 32 years of working in IT Support / Service Delivery Management to work as a property developer (lots of hands on in my case) which I love.

It makes decent money, I have a product to be proud of at the end of the job and I spend a chunk of time each year working on affordable housing projects to give back to the community - the feelgood factor far outweights the inconvenience.

Do you have any hobbies, interests or passions you could move into that are sustainable for you?

I find the tangible product of my work more than overcomes any mental fatigue - sure there is the muscle pains at times and exhaustion from some heavy labour days but these somehow all feel so wholesome. I never had that sort of feeling from working in a corportation as a small cog in a huge machine.

If you really want to stay in IT then make a plan to learn a related skill - see what is newish on the market and gaining traction - AI seems logical - and go through a learning process and try to find where it can be applied at work and then get to know the people approving such projects so you can get in if/when they happen.

I never stopped learning new tech in my career as IT is evolving so constantly. There are plenty of online courses to give you the basics on pretty much anything so I would advise making time to do this if you want to stay in IT.

In the meantime, a mix of mindfulness (to stop your anxiety from taking over) and meditation (to find some peace) would be my recommendation.

Also look at early retirement - you may find your pension schemes will start to pay out now and if your outgoings are modest then it could support you while you work on your plan B.

• Thanks - I always enjoy watching Homes Under The Hammer and would quite fancy that, but I'm not very good with my hands. Plus being a perfectionist, I imagine that jobs would take far too long to complete and I'd never be satisfied with the end result.

I have (or have had) a few hobbies that could potentially turn into work, but then the enjoyment of the hobby would be diminished. For example, I used to be really into photography (semi-professional), but spent way too much time editing images for it to be a viable full time job. I had a friend who was in similar situation and went for it, becoming a full time pro photographer (weddings, portraits, commercial shoots) but the rewards were very small compared to the effort. I had a run in with a professional photographer several years ago and that just killed my enthusiasm for photography full stop!

I'm not sure that I've got what it takes to get back into IT after a long career which included 21 years with a global IT company where I did well until the company was bought out and I got laid off. As I mentioned in my OP, a lot of companies are now turning to the likes of India/Asia for their IT needs - something that happened at my last place. Learning and keeping up with IT developments takes a lot of energy and I really don't have that any more.

One of my health consultants suggested that I try yoga - I've been doing that for several months now, although I did have a non-epileptic seizure during a class a couple of weeks back! I go the gym several times a week, doing yoga, spin, weights, cardio. I'd say that my physical health isn't too bad (despite my BMI suggesting that I'm obese!)

Unfortunately I always put off thought of or contribution to my pension during the majority of my career, so early retirement isn't an option.

Sorry if I've given a quite negative sounding response to your well intended response. I guess that's very typical of how I think - always have and probably always will.

• Thanks - I always enjoy watching Homes Under The Hammer and would quite fancy that, but I'm not very good with my hands. Plus being a perfectionist, I imagine that jobs would take far too long to complete and I'd never be satisfied with the end result.

I have (or have had) a few hobbies that could potentially turn into work, but then the enjoyment of the hobby would be diminished. For example, I used to be really into photography (semi-professional), but spent way too much time editing images for it to be a viable full time job. I had a friend who was in similar situation and went for it, becoming a full time pro photographer (weddings, portraits, commercial shoots) but the rewards were very small compared to the effort. I had a run in with a professional photographer several years ago and that just killed my enthusiasm for photography full stop!

I'm not sure that I've got what it takes to get back into IT after a long career which included 21 years with a global IT company where I did well until the company was bought out and I got laid off. As I mentioned in my OP, a lot of companies are now turning to the likes of India/Asia for their IT needs - something that happened at my last place. Learning and keeping up with IT developments takes a lot of energy and I really don't have that any more.

One of my health consultants suggested that I try yoga - I've been doing that for several months now, although I did have a non-epileptic seizure during a class a couple of weeks back! I go the gym several times a week, doing yoga, spin, weights, cardio. I'd say that my physical health isn't too bad (despite my BMI suggesting that I'm obese!)

Unfortunately I always put off thought of or contribution to my pension during the majority of my career, so early retirement isn't an option.

Sorry if I've given a quite negative sounding response to your well intended response. I guess that's very typical of how I think - always have and probably always will.

Children
No Data