It's the label and stigma that is disabling

I wrote this in another thread but thought it important to discuss more widely.

I was diagnosed at 40 (few years ago). Afterwards, I receeded and didn't like the label so I've mostly kept it to myself. I've found that instead of telling people 'im autistic so I need...', instead I just note that 'i have sensory differences so I need...' for example.

For me the label and stigma are the disabling part, not my brain. This has helped me a lot.

People seem to accommodate your needs fine, but if they are told 'i am autistic so I need...' they become affected and prejudiced by the stigma of what they think autism is (stereotypes) and what they expect an autistic person to be so usually then change their behaviour towards me which always makes me so uncomfortable.

Note: this is just my observation and I fully acknowledge that autism is definitely a disability in many ways for many people. And me too in some ways.

Let me know your thoughts on this please

Parents
  • For me the label and stigma are the disabling part

Do you feel the disabling part only comes from other people or also from your perception of yourself with those labels attached?

My experience of others reaction to me disclosing my diagnosis has been either lack of understanding (eg so what does that mean then?) or discriminatory (eg you ain't no retárd made, come off it!) - the only people who have an understanding are those with an autistic family member.

My understaning of the term "disabling" is that it cripples or incapacitates, so I read it that you are finding other peoples reactions are doing this to you. Is this correct?

Do you have an issue with the stigma of it personally or is it all in the eyes of others?

• I dont have any issue with the labels attached, other than how it affects others responses to it.

Reply Children
No Data