Benefits

Hi all do any of you think people will lose their benefits within the next few months under this Labour government as I’m worried and I don’t like not knowing what’s going on. I was signed off work will they make mr work?

Parents
  • There are different payments for different things (not sure I like calling them 'benefits' it gives the wrong impression) some are means-tested, some are function-tested.

I get some help for things associated with my multiple disabilities, but I have only had income from the government when I was made redundant from work, which adds up to about 7 months over 38 years. Other than that, I've worked since I was 16, apart from sickness absence due to operations, and paid my way since I was 18. Mostly, I look at the disability payment as a rebate on the tax I pay.

It wouldn't occur to me to be on government income permanently, I'm an independent adult who can work (albeit with some boundaries I need to keep in place to sustain that). So I'd be focusing on what you want to achieve out of life. 

The uncertainty - I think the disability assessment and rules go a major overhaul every 10 - 20 years, so if I was sensitive to change, I'd make myself aware that change is inevitable, that I have no power over the government, so I'd try to minimise the impact on me before it happens. Try not to get into the 'victim' mindset, it is a hard one to break out of. (I'm not saying that you are.... just that it would be understandable for people in general to think like that, that they are a victim to the things that happen to them. Many people including myself take things too personally when we shouldn't. So I would try not to feel like a victim and turn it around somehow.)

• There are different payments for different things (not sure I like calling them 'benefits' it gives the wrong impression) some are means-tested, some are function-tested.

I get some help for things associated with my multiple disabilities, but I have only had income from the government when I was made redundant from work, which adds up to about 7 months over 38 years. Other than that, I've worked since I was 16, apart from sickness absence due to operations, and paid my way since I was 18. Mostly, I look at the disability payment as a rebate on the tax I pay.

It wouldn't occur to me to be on government income permanently, I'm an independent adult who can work (albeit with some boundaries I need to keep in place to sustain that). So I'd be focusing on what you want to achieve out of life. 

The uncertainty - I think the disability assessment and rules go a major overhaul every 10 - 20 years, so if I was sensitive to change, I'd make myself aware that change is inevitable, that I have no power over the government, so I'd try to minimise the impact on me before it happens. Try not to get into the 'victim' mindset, it is a hard one to break out of. (I'm not saying that you are.... just that it would be understandable for people in general to think like that, that they are a victim to the things that happen to them. Many people including myself take things too personally when we shouldn't. So I would try not to feel like a victim and turn it around somehow.)

Children
No Data