When do you become an adult?

Yes we all know when the legal definition is, but to me its about so many other things.

Becoming an adult is a process, and not something that happens on your 18th birthday and as a process it should be respected and acknowleged that it happens differently for different people.

Adulthood is often a cultural and social construct too, some cultures encourage their young to be far more independent than others, should we enforce conformity and if we should who's?

Should we hold someone back from doing "adult" things because they're not 18 even when they're ready?

Parents
  • For some of us, being an adult is only dependent on the opinions or “infinite wisdom” of those around us, especially family members, who aside from using religious teachings, will only (allow) us to be an adult in situations where it suits them in certain areas and in certain situations given our condition - for example, following a diagnosis, perhaps because of thier adherence to traditional religious based moral values, they will not approve of our living alone, having a mobile phone or internet that is not as closely monitored as possible, even with support and they will insist that the only way to manage our condition is by means of ultra strict discipline, either by them or someone that they approve of acting in the role of live-in carer/mentor - they believe that they have to be “cruel to be kind” and that we have to be “hectored” into living our lives in thier way (in a certain way) with certain rules designed by them which they believe and maintain is “for our own good” regardless of what anyone else thinks, even if it may be regarded by others as bullying or abusive 

• In a nutshell, ANY framework of life whether religious or secular, whether overall or good or bad, can be regarded (and will be) by SOMEONE as "Oppression".

I've been trying to solve that one for 23 years now. When I do, I'll take action to implement the solution, using force if neccesessary... AND THERE'S THE PROBLEM. 

Human nature.

A simple but firm belief in God, and the consequent reality that I am a part of that plan, results for me in supplication that I might play as good a part in that plan as I can do. God in return reveals to me as much as I need to play that part. God does not not make it easy and Jesus shows me clearly why and how it is my fault. 

I can on many days clearly see how each difficulty under which I labour is either of my own making, or the consequence of a test I failed to overcome. Just becuse anotehr human being was the instrument used to test me at that point, theere's no point in hating them but I do reserve the right to describe them in the most non-P.C. terms I can can think of until the rage wears off. 

• In a nutshell, ANY framework of life whether religious or secular, whether overall or good or bad, can be regarded (and will be) by SOMEONE as "Oppression".

I've been trying to solve that one for 23 years now. When I do, I'll take action to implement the solution, using force if neccesessary... AND THERE'S THE PROBLEM. 

Human nature.

A simple but firm belief in God, and the consequent reality that I am a part of that plan, results for me in supplication that I might play as good a part in that plan as I can do. God in return reveals to me as much as I need to play that part. God does not not make it easy and Jesus shows me clearly why and how it is my fault. 

I can on many days clearly see how each difficulty under which I labour is either of my own making, or the consequence of a test I failed to overcome. Just becuse anotehr human being was the instrument used to test me at that point, theere's no point in hating them but I do reserve the right to describe them in the most non-P.C. terms I can can think of until the rage wears off. 

Children
No Data