Misdiagnosis in mental health - late diagnosed female

Hi, I am new to this. I hope this is okay to post. I am 30 years old. I was misdiagnosed for a decade in the mental health system and was finally correctly diagnosed with autism at the age of 27, exactly 10 years after entering the mental health system. I have unfortunately spent over 7 of those years as an inpatient. It has been an incredibly traumatic time for me. I am finally out of hospital after the biggest battle of my life. As soon as I was diagnosed my mental health has been the best it has ever been as finally everything makes sense. I am so grateful I finally know why I am the way I am. 
However due to so many years stuck in the system and stuck in hospital, it has meant that I have never been in employment before. I really wish to be able to work but I am aware that it is going to be very challenging to get a job with my lack of experience. I have done several level 2 courses this year and have done some volunteering also. I am also plan on doing more volunteering soon. 
I feel like honesty is the best policy for myself - I find it difficult to say anything but the truth if I were ever questioned why I do not have much on my CV for the past 10 years. I feel like when applying for jobs in the future I just want to be honest about my situation and what happened and hope that someone gives me a chance. But I am also aware that some employers may not be keen. 

I was wondering if anyone else has gone through something similar and how they deal with it? How do you tell someone you spent a decade being misdiagnosed, stuck in hospital, and now desperate to get on with my life and hope they do not judge you for being failed by the system. I feel incredibly alone in what I have gone through even though I know sadly my story is not unheard of. Thank you for reading this

Parents
  • You sound so incredibly strong,  wanting to make a future and not looking back with bitterness which some may do. And this would be understandable. I am diagnosed and work supporting adults iwith mental and physical health problems n social care. I find that over the decades of observation it is the people with strong positive attitudes,  wanting to make life better and do their best,  that have the greatest outcomes. So basically bless you,  go for it, take all the advice you get from people who love you and enjoy the rest of your life.

• You sound so incredibly strong,  wanting to make a future and not looking back with bitterness which some may do. And this would be understandable. I am diagnosed and work supporting adults iwith mental and physical health problems n social care. I find that over the decades of observation it is the people with strong positive attitudes,  wanting to make life better and do their best,  that have the greatest outcomes. So basically bless you,  go for it, take all the advice you get from people who love you and enjoy the rest of your life.

Children
  • Thank you so much for your kind message. I really appreciate it. Yes I am very much determined to not allow what happened to stop me getting on with my life. They have already stolen over a decade of my life so I don’t want to allow them to take my future too. I will try to make things work. It doesn’t help that I got an inflamed brain post covid exactly the month I was due to leave hospital, 6 months after my autism diagnosis. It’s now 2 years and only now my symptoms are manageable. I wish to get my story out there so what happened to me in my life doesn’t happen to more people. Thanks again for your kind message x