Misdiagnosis in mental health - late diagnosed female

Hi, I am new to this. I hope this is okay to post. I am 30 years old. I was misdiagnosed for a decade in the mental health system and was finally correctly diagnosed with autism at the age of 27, exactly 10 years after entering the mental health system. I have unfortunately spent over 7 of those years as an inpatient. It has been an incredibly traumatic time for me. I am finally out of hospital after the biggest battle of my life. As soon as I was diagnosed my mental health has been the best it has ever been as finally everything makes sense. I am so grateful I finally know why I am the way I am. 
However due to so many years stuck in the system and stuck in hospital, it has meant that I have never been in employment before. I really wish to be able to work but I am aware that it is going to be very challenging to get a job with my lack of experience. I have done several level 2 courses this year and have done some volunteering also. I am also plan on doing more volunteering soon. 
I feel like honesty is the best policy for myself - I find it difficult to say anything but the truth if I were ever questioned why I do not have much on my CV for the past 10 years. I feel like when applying for jobs in the future I just want to be honest about my situation and what happened and hope that someone gives me a chance. But I am also aware that some employers may not be keen. 

I was wondering if anyone else has gone through something similar and how they deal with it? How do you tell someone you spent a decade being misdiagnosed, stuck in hospital, and now desperate to get on with my life and hope they do not judge you for being failed by the system. I feel incredibly alone in what I have gone through even though I know sadly my story is not unheard of. Thank you for reading this

Parents
  • you also find that the best option in the case of unemployability is to join a agency..... why can a agency get you work easy? .... because THEY lie for you, they know that honesty is bad, so they take your cv, and they fill it in, they lie, if anyone gets called out on it which they never do as employers dont really care about truth, then they can say they must have mixed your cv up with someone elses.

my agent claimed they could see i had extensive experience in warehousing so offered me the job im still in now.... i did say thats not right at first and they must have the wrong cv... they ignored that and said it doesnt matter.... i understand now, they lie for you and thats how they get you work. thats the only tried true tested way to get work. so even if you dont lie, if you get a agent the agent will lie for you to get you work.

• you also find that the best option in the case of unemployability is to join a agency..... why can a agency get you work easy? .... because THEY lie for you, they know that honesty is bad, so they take your cv, and they fill it in, they lie, if anyone gets called out on it which they never do as employers dont really care about truth, then they can say they must have mixed your cv up with someone elses.

my agent claimed they could see i had extensive experience in warehousing so offered me the job im still in now.... i did say thats not right at first and they must have the wrong cv... they ignored that and said it doesnt matter.... i understand now, they lie for you and thats how they get you work. thats the only tried true tested way to get work. so even if you dont lie, if you get a agent the agent will lie for you to get you work.

Children
No Data