28 and almost completely alone.

Hi. Dunno how to start this. I'm 28 and have maybe two friends, depending how we define it. As I've gotten older, I've found myself completely unable to connect to others. I notice others seem to think very different than me. Even other people who are open about being autistic, I appear to be different from them in some way. 

I find myself wanting friends but completely unable to make them. Even the thought of approaching someone to ask them if they want to do something etc. terrifies me. I'm always afraid someone will "notice" I'm not normal, that they'll "notice" I'm masking, or worse, trying not to mask.

Honestly, all I want is someone who I can be me with. I'm not looking for a relationship, just a trusting friendship and someone to play video games with and talk about hobbies. 

Any advice or anything anyone can give I would be appreciate. 

Parents
  • Hello and welcome. I can certainly identify with your post, particularly about feeling everyone is different from you, even some other autistic people. I would say I don't really have more than two or three friends either but Im not sure Id want many more as it would be quite overwhelming. 

What are your hobbies and interests? What sort of video games do you like to play 

• Yeah, I understand. I do fear I may overwhelm myself with too many friends, but I feel too I could benifit from some more friends. I lost my best friend in a rather rough way and it's taken me literal years to even reach out. I like FPS games, magic the gathering, warhammer-like games, pokemon tcg, quite a wide range of games

• Yeah, I understand. I do fear I may overwhelm myself with too many friends, but I feel too I could benifit from some more friends. I lost my best friend in a rather rough way and it's taken me literal years to even reach out. I like FPS games, magic the gathering, warhammer-like games, pokemon tcg, quite a wide range of games

Children
No Data