Reading difficulties related to autism?

When I read I have a hard time with remembering the names of the characters in the books. I don't remember having this problem up until about two years ago. 

It's put me off reading a little because by the end I've got the plot ingrained in my memory but can't remember who's who. Frustrating isn't in it!

Is this an autism thing? I didn't consider this before but now I've had a bit of time to think it over I was wondering if it might be an autistic quirk I've somehow acquired. 

Parents
  • Hi VerityL,

I have exactly the same thing! Also in TV/Films.

A bit like you, I don't remember having this issue as a youngster, but I am also a lot older than you (I clicked on your profile).

I am a bit more resigned to it than you. I still persist with books and TV/Films because I have found that it doesn't matter too much (or my mixed-up version of the story is better - ha ha). I must admit that I am particulary struggling with the new James Bond novels (currently reading "Double or Nothing") which focus more on all the Double 0s and not James Bond. I constantly don't know who's whol

To be honest, I'm kind of glad you've posted this (even though I am sorry that you suffer from it) because it's always nice to know that you are not alone.

I don't know if it's anything to do with Autism or not.

• Hi VerityL,

I have exactly the same thing! Also in TV/Films.

A bit like you, I don't remember having this issue as a youngster, but I am also a lot older than you (I clicked on your profile).

I am a bit more resigned to it than you. I still persist with books and TV/Films because I have found that it doesn't matter too much (or my mixed-up version of the story is better - ha ha). I must admit that I am particulary struggling with the new James Bond novels (currently reading "Double or Nothing") which focus more on all the Double 0s and not James Bond. I constantly don't know who's whol

To be honest, I'm kind of glad you've posted this (even though I am sorry that you suffer from it) because it's always nice to know that you are not alone.

I don't know if it's anything to do with Autism or not.

Children
No Data