Has social Media destroyed the fabric of human civilisation?

Discussion topic for today - Social Media. I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this. I believe social media has destroyed the fabric of civilisation. We have lost the ability to "agree to disagree" and to tolerate opinions and beliefs contrary to our own, screeching names and insults at anyone who disagrees with us and calling for them to be cancelled. 

We have become extraordinarily self obsessed and narcissistic, endlessly taking photos of ourselves and posting our every thought to the world. Most of all though I believe we have become incredibly unhappy and unable to experience real life. Most people I see are far more interested in filming and posting their lives to curate a perfect online profile of themselves than in actually living those wonderful moments that make life worth while. For instance, if you see a beautiful sunset is your first instinct to stand there and contemplate its wonder or to post a picture of it online? 
There's lots more that could be said on this discussion, especially the effect on young people.

Would be interested to hear everyone's opinions 

Parents
  • Aside from the internet and mobile phones per se, I do strongly believe and maintain that no child under 21 should ever be permitted to engage with social media in any form, for any purpose, as the risks of social media on young minds are too great - I also feel the same way about “dating” apps and websites for under 21’s and in all cases, these need to be carefully blocked and restricted - as an older and conservative minded gay man, given my own life experiences, I am a staunch traditionalist and therefore I strongly believe that an immediate return to traditional moral and social values in every area of our society is vital for the continued protection of western civilisation 

• For under 21s who are deemed to be particularly vulnerable, I would agree, although I would be inclined to lower the age. Somehow, I can't imagine an 18-year-old who is old enough to drive, vote, drink alcohol, have a bank account, etc, taking kindly to being told they are prohibited from using the likes of social media and dating apps.

Young adults can be particularly headstrong. They are known for pushing the boundaries, and it's like a rite of passage that is part and parcel of growing up. If they really want to do something that they are prohibited from doing, they will find a way of doing it. Admittedly, there will always be some who take it to extremes when pushing the boundaries. However, young adults under the age of 21 can be far more knowledgeable about certain things than we give them credit for, and in some cases considerably more sensible than their elders.

• I’m strongly in favour of putting the legal age for everything back up to 21 which has always been the traditional legal age and to teach young people to love and embrace tradition from as early an age as possible - you do sometimes have to be “cruel to be kind” and “protect them from themselves” “for their own good” in which case they will need “tough love” and it is really all about reversing the changes of the 1960’s in particular and returning to traditions pre-19th century - the natural instincts of young adults to “push the boundaries” must always be carefully managed by the use of strict and strongly enforced discipline at every level and in every way, again “for thier own good” and to “protect them from themselves” of which discipline I am a strong advocate, given my commitment to tradition and given where I have seen and experienced where the lack of same leads 

• sometimes have to be “cruel to be kind” and “protect them from themselves” “for their own good” in which case they will need “tough love”

Sounds like words used by most abusers to justify their crimes.

Luckily there is little chance society will regress to the days of 60 years ago when ignorance and abuse were so much more commonplace.

• sometimes have to be “cruel to be kind” and “protect them from themselves” “for their own good” in which case they will need “tough love”

Sounds like words used by most abusers to justify their crimes.

Luckily there is little chance society will regress to the days of 60 years ago when ignorance and abuse were so much more commonplace.

Children
No Data