How do I answer questions like this?

So I got an interview coming up for a post I applied for a few weeks ago. On the job description it said informal visit advised. So I booked a visit for today. I also said to the hiring manager in an email that I have autism and would love an idea on the structure of the interview so it would help calm my nerves, as this has helped me in the past. 

So during my visit today, she did ask about my autism and how she can help which was nice. But also asked me what caused me to seek a diagnosis, there must be something I was struggling with. I felt completely uncomfortable answering that. Then proceeds to ask if I am taking meds for it. I guess the last one threw me off a bit.

How do I answer questions like this?

The interview was with the NHS.

Parents
  • asked me what caused me to seek a diagnosis, there must be something I was struggling with. I felt completely uncomfortable answering that.

I would say that you noticed your life experiences were different to those around you and someone suggested you may be autistic so you did your research, identified it as a probability and asked your GP to arrange a formal assessent to be certain.

This will show you are observant, analytical, decisive and respectful of other professionals opinions all in order to better understand your situation.

Sounds like a good way to go up in their eyes.

• asked me what caused me to seek a diagnosis, there must be something I was struggling with. I felt completely uncomfortable answering that.

I would say that you noticed your life experiences were different to those around you and someone suggested you may be autistic so you did your research, identified it as a probability and asked your GP to arrange a formal assessent to be certain.

This will show you are observant, analytical, decisive and respectful of other professionals opinions all in order to better understand your situation.

Sounds like a good way to go up in their eyes.

Children
No Data