Worried about getting a diagnosis and being believed. Please share your experiences

Hello!

I am a woman in my 30s and Ive decided that getting a diagnosis would give me validation of my struggles throughout my life. However I’m worried I won’t be “believed”.

I have asked a couple of friends previously whether they have ever thought I could be autistic but they’ve almost laughed and said no. This has put me off confiding in anybody else.

This isn’t something I’ve thought lightly about, I have spent hours relentlessly researching into the late diagnosis of autism in women. As well as a lot resonating with me I have taken online tests etc. 

AQ 50 - 36

Cat Q - 158

I’ve come to realise I mask a LOT therefore I’m scared that the assessor will think I’m not autistic, as my traits may not be obvious. I don’t even know what the first step is to take. I don’t want to speak to my GP as I’m worried I won’t be believed, I don’t know whether I’m in a financial position for a private diagnosis, I don’t even know how much these cost.

Parents
  • Hello,

I am in my late 20s and recently got a diagnosis for Autism this year. I always thought I was autistic and although I was on the Special Educational Needs when I used to be in school, they didn't think I was autistic because I could make eye contact, albeit through masking, and could talk, etc but these are such outdated views. 

Of course everyone has different personal experiences post diagnosis which are all valid, but for me personally having the diagnosis validated how I felt, why I struggled and excelled in certain areas etc. I would say it doesn't matter what people say, your struggles should be validated and if you believe you could have autism and want a diagnosis go for it. 

I also mask heavily and the people who do ASD assessments are trained to look at masking. Initially I was going to go through the NHS route. This involved speaking to the GP, telling them why I believed I was autistic. They then referred me to a ASD provider, I had to complete forms which were very similar to the online tests I used to take. After that they then put me on a waiting list for an assessment. However the waiting list in my area was a minimum of 3.5 years- 4 years. Nhs right to choose wasnt much different. In some areas waiting lists are longer. I was in a bad way and did not want to wait that long so in the end I went private. The private route meant I got an ASD assessment and diagnosis in two months. Each private provider cost slightly different so you would have to look. Mine was about £2000. I am aware I am incredibly privileged that I was able to save up to afford that but many people would not be in the same situation.  It is your jurisdiction but i would perhaps go to your GP start the process and they can tell you how long the waiting list is in your area. Also look at private options because as I mentioned prices can vary

• I was so desperate to know asap by the time I decided to seek diagnosis that I borrowed some of the money from a family member, then paid back as soon as I could - over about four months. If that's an option for you, Rainbow, maybe consider it. You can always ask them (if you trust them enough) to tell nobody else about the loan or the appointment. The fewer who know ahead of you getting to process the outcome, the better.

• I was so desperate to know asap by the time I decided to seek diagnosis that I borrowed some of the money from a family member, then paid back as soon as I could - over about four months. If that's an option for you, Rainbow, maybe consider it. You can always ask them (if you trust them enough) to tell nobody else about the loan or the appointment. The fewer who know ahead of you getting to process the outcome, the better.

Children
No Data