Obsession vs reality

Hello All,

looking for some advice… I have known Z since they were 5 years old… myself and many other volunteers did years of play sessions until it got to the point that Z could go to school and many things improved… 

Z is now 19 and trying to find their way in life… doing work experience here and there and applying for jobs etc.

One of Z’s close friends (a volunteer) recently passed away and Z wants to put together a tribute concert in their memory. 

Z is obsessed with singing like Adele, Celine and a few others… they want to put together this amazing full professional concert event in a local park… but the reality is that it’s probably not going to be anything like how they want it to be… I’m not going to lie… Z is not the greatest of singers!!

I try to point out to Z a few things here and there to try to get them to realise how they may need to simplify their project but Z just glosses over it and talks about another element of the project…

Any tips on how to juggle reality vs unrealistic expectations/project with someone who has Autism/Aspergers? 

Thanks!

• Hello HMO,

I will go with that. I know that even if it turns into just a small event with Z’s nearest and dearest it will be fun. Just done want them to be too disappointed! 

Thanks. :-)

• Thanks Hullabaloo! Good suggestion. :-)

• I echo what Hullabaloo said. I'd much prefer to work it out by myself then get someone screaming "this will never happen", even if they are actually correct. It's the demand avoidance thing. 

• Sometimes people just need to see the outcome of their efforts before they realize the reality of it. Z is motivated to make this an amazing professional concert, and they are motivated to sing, they are likely completely obsessed by it, and they'll talk about it non-stop, and do things for it non-stop. Instead of discouraging things, if you need to cut back on something in the budget, maybe try to convince them of something positive from doing that, like instead of putting all the money into one thing, that a little bit of money could be spread into multiple different things instead, so they'd have more. Hopefully they don't get their hopes too high, but sometimes you just have to let them realize reality for themselves by experiencing it.