NHS autism assessment

Hi all I'm on list for an assessment but am starting to worry.  I struggle to speak words just don't come out.   Any appointments I have I write down responses and am unable to talk on telephone.  Will the autism assessment people understand this.

Parents
  • Hello-welcome to this lovely community. It's completely understandable to feel worried about your upcoming assessment-I think we all felt like that leading up to our assessments. It's important to communicate your concerns and needs clearly to the autism assessment team. It might be helpful to let them know in advance about your difficulty with spoken communication and your preference for written responses-and don't worry or feel you're making a fuss so many people struggle to communicate and prefer to write rather than talk. I do this, It's a lot less stress and I find it a lot easier as I go mute when I get overwhelmed.

They should be understanding and accommodating of your needs during the assessment process-so try not to get too worked up. They're professionals and they will want to make this as smooth and stress free for you as possible. Relaxed

• Hello-welcome to this lovely community. It's completely understandable to feel worried about your upcoming assessment-I think we all felt like that leading up to our assessments. It's important to communicate your concerns and needs clearly to the autism assessment team. It might be helpful to let them know in advance about your difficulty with spoken communication and your preference for written responses-and don't worry or feel you're making a fuss so many people struggle to communicate and prefer to write rather than talk. I do this, It's a lot less stress and I find it a lot easier as I go mute when I get overwhelmed.

They should be understanding and accommodating of your needs during the assessment process-so try not to get too worked up. They're professionals and they will want to make this as smooth and stress free for you as possible. Relaxed

Children
No Data