Stress of finding a job

Hi not been on here for a while as I have been looking for work and I’m moving from my student accommodation soon. I am really stressed out with job hunting and today the job I really wanted turned me down and it’s a horrible feeling. I have got another interview lined up in a children’s foster home. I don’t like the hours though 12 hours shift 3 a week which could include nights and weekends. If anyone has any advice it would be great and I really hope I can find a nice job in a school or something and not shift work 

Parents
  • Welcome back to the community Rachel!

sorry to hear you didn't get the job you wanted. It's completely understandable to feel down after a setback like that. It's great that you have another interview lined up, even if the hours aren't ideal. Sometimes, taking a job with less-than-perfect hours can be a stepping stone to something better. But make sure you look after your wellbeing and mental health.

If you're keen on finding work in a school, perhaps you could reach out directly to local schools, just to show you’re keen and to know if any opportunities. Maybe you could offer to try work experience with them too. 

Job hunting can be really exhausting, so try to balance it with activities that help you relax and make you feel happy. Best of luck with your interview and your job search. You should be proud for having interviews and finding work.

• Thanks for the advice. Shift work is a pain. I have a life I see myself as a social butterfly despite being on the spectrum. Wednesday’s I go to a board game group in the evenings. On Sundays I go to a place called circus eruption and on the full moon of every month I go down the beach as there a fire jam. People perform with fire and I’m learning to do that. I don’t want to give any of those things up. I have applied to a few schools so fingers crossed I get better hours and weekends off. 

• Shift work is a pain

It can be if you think of it this way. However if you think it will give you 2 more days off than the poor 9-5 workers then it starts to be more attractive. That is 4 full days off a week - heaven!

I don’t want to give any of those things up.

The reality is that when you start work you have to make some sacrefices. You can't go to every event but I'm sure you can negotiate to change shifts with your colleagues to go to some of the ones that clash with your work.

If you can't make them all then make the most of the ones you can go to.

It is a trade off for having an income in order to pay the bills - look at the positives of this and it helps make the negatives less of a pain. This way of looking at things applies to all the negatives at work - think what the alternatives are of being broke and it helps find the positivity.

This life skill is pretty important to dealing with life as an adult now as there are going to be more things as life goes on that can drag you down unless you have this to help.

• I know and I have decided if I get the job I will take it work there for a while to gain experience and then move on to something with better hours. 

Reply Children
No Data