Creating a small talk phrase list

Referring to the NAS website:

• practise a few bits of small talk, such as 'How are you today?'. This may help to reduce your anxiety about making contact with people. 

• How are you today?
  • Nice weather we are having

what do you suggest?

• I learned through trial and error, to combine an opinion with the weather, like "I wish it wasn't raining today. It's been raining a lot lately." And then the other person will chime in, and the conversation will continue. But I try to keep things llight-hearted. You could say things like "It’s really cloudy outside. I hope it doesn't rain today." Or "It is so sunny and humid outside. I'm just boiling right now." Showing your opinion, even about something small, gets them to share theirs, and this gains trust over time. 

• Empathy ? ? ?

" How are You Today ? " 
    " Not bad Mate. mi legs have fallen off.. My feet ran off without My permission, My Knobbly Knees are acting like Knobs.
    and to top it all off....My head spins right round baby right round like a record player right round right round.
    And You think I.M off My Head ?

Ohhhhhh..Loird have Mercy..

• Hello arete.
    Your post struck me as genuine.
    You come across as  a nice decent person.

• I saw on a you tube video for small talk in work saying what day it is passes for small talk. "Its Friday!". This seems to work with my coworkers. 

Been waiting long - at bus/train/tram stops

Failing that, being British and a comment about the weather is enough social lubrication for me!