Autism Awareness Newbie

Hi,

I have only been on the journey for 8 weeks. I was again in the burnout phase rapidly heading to meltdown (now that I know what it is!). I just so happened to listen to a book & the main character was Asperger’s. My thought was “why can’t everyone just be like him?”.

Ping, the light came on! I have to say that it has been a long time coming & if I had heard the little of ASD all together I would have switched it on sooner. 

They think in pictures, doesn’t everyone? They like order, come to Auntie she can help with that & so the dance of masking continued.

I have been through the SARA (Shock, Anger, Rejection & Acceptance) model. My psychologist gave me my “certificate” yesterday & I could say that I am in the Acceptance stage.

“Ok I will see you in 6 month”. What????? I did the all the mostly ambiguous questionnaires & there are no answers (yes there are book recommendations, resources, etc.). I am glad that my husband was with me & he could confirm that, it wasn’t just a me, not getting something situation. 

I have listened to:

Unmasking Autism 

Spectrum Women

Looking after Your Autistic Self (just started)

It feels so good to belong at last! I figure I have come to the right place to ask does anyone have a recommendation for what helped in the early days?

• I really like the autistic authors who write autobiographical books such as =

Odd Girl Out by Laura James

Strong Female Character by Fern Brady

Untypical by Pete Wharmby

How to Be Autistic by Charlotte Amelia Poe 

• what helped in the early days?

I'm not sure how you mean 'helped', but the books I found most interesting in the 4 months since diagnosis are the ones that had a lot about 'lived experience'. I enjoyed these, I kept saying 'yes' to things they were saying:

• The Autistic Experience: Silenced Voices Finally Heard, Marie-Laure Del Vecchio, Joe James
    • Divergent Mind: Thriving in a World That Wasn't Designed for You, Jenara Nerenberg
    • The Autists: women on the spectrum, Clara Törnvall

The other thing that helped is telling people my diagnosis and using my new-found knowledge of autism to educate their preconceived ideas. It reenforces what I have learned. Also the list of things I made notes on while reading the books have helped at work in terms of speaking up and asking people if they can do things a little different.

• OMGoodyness, I have had 21 people view this discussion & I am trying really hard to accept that they might be off finding a response, as I 100% do that.
    There is no right or wrong answer to the question I asked. What worked for someone else may not work for me. I am 100% ok with exploring ideas of what meant something to someone.

I just find most resources are written by NT’s so make little sense to me.