Finding work

Hello, please can anyone help? I am Mum of autistic daughter who is applying for jobs two years after university. In the 2 years she has been doing no work. I think it took this long to think about this as she was burnt out after university. She has in last 6 months been receiving universal credit. She is trying to applying for nhs jobs but doesn't have a reference for last two years as been at home not working. Also has no interaction with wider world, just friends and her parents. Any suggestions or ways of getting support. Thank you

• She can get a reference from university, although they may be less inclined to do it after 4 or 5 years, but I'd say 2 years was still recent enough that someone in her main department can at least attest to attendance and quality of work etc. She can also get a reference from GP or health professional. If she gets one of those, then the other reference can be a personal one - a neighbour whose shopping she does,  a friend's cousin she babysits for... anything really.

From experience working in NHS, the best way in would be to volunteer with the NHS in a role she is comfortable with. This happens a lot for non-medical roles. Bonus, the person you are volunteering with will write you a reference.

For some people, their first job is made from personal contact (not networking, but people you know already). Ask around your own family, and see if they have any part time roles or opportunities for work shadowing to help her work out what environment would help her contribute her skills.Office work doesn't suit everyone, neither does working outdoors...

I have to admit, I never thought there was any option to do anything other than work after uni, and though I struggled to get a job, I talked my department to keep me on a couple of hours a week as a tutor while I travelled up and down the UK going to graduate recruitment events and interviews, filling in application forms and trying not to get too depressed with every rejection. Also be willing to take a 'non-graduate' job to get started. What you commit to in your first role won't be what you do when you retire, so it's part of the growing up process to realise when it's time to leave a job too (I know that's not what you asked, but there is one school of thought that, as soon as you get a job you ought to be planning where you are going next, or what you want to learn next). A lot of recruitment at the start of careers is about having the right attitude, rather than the skills you can offer, as most places will train you the way they want you to work. In my experience.

What does she need support with?

• It's more practical steps to get her an interview by explaining the gap.

She may find it simpler to be honest so that interviewers don't catch her in any lies during the interview.

It isn't uncommon to have a gap in your CV when finishing your degree although 2 years is getting excessive without anything to show for it.

She may be better doing what Sporadic Sparkly suggests and start building some experience with voluntary work that can be "embellished" as lasting longer if she believes it is necessary.

She also thinks she has adhd

If this is the case then a simple online test should give her some confidence in this to request a formal diagnosis from her GP. Just search "free ADHD online test" and you will find plenty - try a few and see if the results corrolate.

I think she struggles with her executive function.

This will make holding a job very difficult. Has she received any therapy for it? If not I would suggest trying to persuade her to do this as the benefits of having a degree of control may help her break out of the rut she finds herself in.

I would also get her to start writing a story about her situation in a style that she can use later - it may give her the impetus to get writing again and encourage her along the self discovery route through therapy which all helps towards her end goal.

Just my thoughts on it.

• If your daughter is willing and able to consider voluntary work, it would help to plug the gap. I'm no expert on such matters, but from the perspective of a prospective employer, stating on her CV that she has done voluntary work creates a better impression than having zero work experience. 

• She would like to do that, again as above its getting her to do that as above. It was for practical advise on what to do about this gap in employment 

• Yes it does, she doesn't engage with that. She doesn't take any support from us well either, it all has to be in her own time. I think she struggles with her executive function. She also thinks she has adhd and us on long list for that too.  She loves her chosen field, creative writing. It's more practical steps to get her an interview by explaining the gap.

• She is trying to applying for nhs jobs but doesn't have a reference for last two years as been at home not working.

Does the university have an alumni program? This may give her a chance to catch up with some professors and former students and start building a network this way.

Have you identified what are the main things holding her back? Is it problems in social contact, fear of change, demand avoidance etc?

If you can pinpoint what is a likely candidate then you may be able to read up on possible ways to help these and by exension, her.

Another very important aspect is what does she want. Not what she thinks she should be doing, but what does she want. It is not uncommon for graduates to lose interest in their chosen field after burnout in my experience (I graduated in Applied Phsyics and ended up working in IT as it was much more interesting).

• It's just a thought, but has your daughter considered doing voluntary work? In addition to voluntary work allowing your daughter to become accustomed to interacting with the wider world, it's a way of obtaining much-needed references.

To go from not working to paid employment could prove to be a shock to the system. Therefore, voluntary work would be a way of gently easing your daughter into working, and allowing her to see if she's ready for it after her burn-out. In addition, it would obviously be something positive she could add to her CV.

• I mentioned interaction as the list of people she could get references off are professional