Making phone calls / using Relay UK

Since being diagnosed, I’ve been finding ways to better manage my difficulties. One being phone calls - which thankfully I can avoid mostly by either using live chat or email, but sometimes there is no choice but to telephone. But when I’m speaking on the call I absolutely freeze up, and sometimes struggle with processing what the other people say. After giving it some time to pluck up the courage (usually days and after writing a script!) I can make a phone call, but I’ve been considering what other ways could work better as it’s exhausting having all this anxiety when I have to make a phone call. 

So I have been considering using Relay UK, which is a free service where someone else relays the phone call in text, practically turning it into live chat. This would make it so much easier and less daunting, and might mean I can deal with issues (e.g. phone call to DWP) a lot quicker. However on the other hand I’m conscious that relay UK is a service mainly for deaf people, and I wouldn’t want to take up this resource if that’s the case. To be fair, I can most of the time email or use live chat so can avoid phone calls, it’s just the odd occasions.

i was wondering if anyone else has used Relay Uk and isn’t deaf? is it wrong for me to use the service even though I’m not deaf? 

Parents
  • I feel for you I am good on the phone but hate it.The waiting the options the endless questions not being understood.I try and do as much as possible via email but here is my issue.I find most people corporations are slow and email replies seems to take longer than the post.

I then get accused of being pressuring or obsessional when I resend the email.If we had a kind world we would not struggle with these issues.

one other thought do you have someone you trust that you could authorise to speak on your behalf?

• I feel for you I am good on the phone but hate it.The waiting the options the endless questions not being understood.I try and do as much as possible via email but here is my issue.I find most people corporations are slow and email replies seems to take longer than the post.

I then get accused of being pressuring or obsessional when I resend the email.If we had a kind world we would not struggle with these issues.

one other thought do you have someone you trust that you could authorise to speak on your behalf?

Children
No Data