Making phone calls / using Relay UK

Since being diagnosed, I’ve been finding ways to better manage my difficulties. One being phone calls - which thankfully I can avoid mostly by either using live chat or email, but sometimes there is no choice but to telephone. But when I’m speaking on the call I absolutely freeze up, and sometimes struggle with processing what the other people say. After giving it some time to pluck up the courage (usually days and after writing a script!) I can make a phone call, but I’ve been considering what other ways could work better as it’s exhausting having all this anxiety when I have to make a phone call. 

So I have been considering using Relay UK, which is a free service where someone else relays the phone call in text, practically turning it into live chat. This would make it so much easier and less daunting, and might mean I can deal with issues (e.g. phone call to DWP) a lot quicker. However on the other hand I’m conscious that relay UK is a service mainly for deaf people, and I wouldn’t want to take up this resource if that’s the case. To be fair, I can most of the time email or use live chat so can avoid phone calls, it’s just the odd occasions.

i was wondering if anyone else has used Relay Uk and isn’t deaf? is it wrong for me to use the service even though I’m not deaf? 

• I feel for you I am good on the phone but hate it.The waiting the options the endless questions not being understood.I try and do as much as possible via email but here is my issue.I find most people corporations are slow and email replies seems to take longer than the post.

I then get accused of being pressuring or obsessional when I resend the email.If we had a kind world we would not struggle with these issues.

one other thought do you have someone you trust that you could authorise to speak on your behalf?

• You're so welcome. I'm glad it's going to be of use to you as well. I think so many here might find this a useful service. 

• That’s awesome! That’s a massive a relief for me too as I know I can use it if I know I’m going to struggle on a phone call and there’s no option to email or use live chat. Thank you for emailing them and sharing their reply Slight smile

• You're welcome. I feel this is something that so many of us would benefit from. And it is good news!

A woman called Heather emailed me back and sent some attachments to be downloaded. 

She said.

"Hello Charla

Thank you for contacting the Relay UK Helpdesk.

You are welcome to use our service. It is up to you whether you would like the replies from the person you are calling typed to you, or whether you are happy listening to them yourself. If you are happy listening, you can choose the preference “I’ll be typing and hearing”. If you choose this, our relay assistants will still type the replies to you unless you tell them not to. You can type something like “Operator, no need to type, I can hear” and they will stop typing.

We have a series of instructional videos available on YouTube, links to which can be found on our website How to videos - Help | Relay UK (bt.com). I have also attached screen recorded videos showing how to link a number to the app and how to make a call. These were taken on an Android phone but the app works the same on iPhones.

If you need any help once you have downloaded the app, please let us know.

Thank you.

Kind regards."

I think this is really positive Relaxed️ I'll be using this for sure, it's perfect for me as I struggle so much with talking on the phone. 

• Thanks Bunny, that’s very helpful Slight smile

• Thank you Char, let me know how you get on with them and what they say Slight smile

• I think using Relay UK is a really great idea. It takes all the stress off you and that is key. I've never heard of this organisation before but I'll be giving them a try as well as phone calls is something I struggle as well. 

When on the phone I freeze and at times go mute which is very embarrassing and awkward. Something I did previously was to preplan the call and write down what I might say, almost like an actor having a script to read before a play. It helped me prepare but unfortunately the freezing and mutism is still an ongoing problem. 

I don't think it's wrong to try Relay UK. Their site says they help deaf, speech impaired people and autism and anxiety does affect people's speech and ability to speak so I would say we would be eligible for this. 

They have an contact email so I'm going to email them, explain about my autism and see what they say. I'll let you guys know what they say. 

• I would encourage you to go ahead and use it. The following quote is from Relay UK's own customer satisfaction survey, published at the link below:

"This app has changed my life as somebody with Auditory Processing Disorder, and being Autistic with mutism, phone calls were impossible and I was feeling like such a burden constantly asking for calls to be made on my behalf by family and friends, but this app changes all of that." 

https://www.relayuk.bt.com/assets/documents/relay-uk-satisfaction-survey-key-findings-nov-2022.pdf