What happens if I can't get a job?

Hi,

I am autistic and in my mid-twenties. I have never had a job before due to mental health issues caused by my autism, but at the moment I think I am ready to get a part time job.

It seems that employers don't agree lol. I am with an employment support service, which has been useful for teaching me how to "play the game", but I still can't get any jobs or interviews.

My CV has been checked by my employment support advisor, and he says it's good, so I don't think that is the reason.

Is it because I am over 25 with no experience? What happens if I can't ever get a job? Do I just have to keep looking forever, or are you allowed to give up eventually?

I mostly want a job because I don't like sitting at home doing nothing, but I don't do well with unstructured social things or joining hobby groups. I have also tried looking for volunteering positions, but this also seems to be a dead end.

Thanks

• Hi Andy H

You have received some useful tips and ideas from the community. I wanted to share our NAS guide to seeking employment: https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/employment/seeking-work/autistic-adults

For support and advice on career planning, job searching, the application process and reasonable adjustments, you can access our free online Finding Employment module.  

Good luck with your job hunt,

Sharon Mod

• I'm over 25 and it seems that there's a lot of schemes (training and the like) which are for under 25s. Certainly the ones I've seen.

I've done a lot of cold emailing, hoping for the best. No luck whatsoever though, even though I've made some contacts and reached out to them, asking if there's any way they can help.

• 25 is still very young.  Don't worry, the next government will probably force people into work, although the types of jobs won't be ideal.

• Thank you for the encouragement Smile
    It's definitely tough, but your advice is helpful; keeping in mind all the factors at play and not just keep thinking theres something wrong with me specifically haha

• It's great to hear that you feel ready to take on a part-time job and have been proactive in seeking support from an employment service.

It's frustrating when despite your efforts, you're not getting the responses you hope for from potential employers.

It's important to remember that the job market can be competitive, and sometimes it can take time to find the right fit. It could be a combination of factors beyond your control, such as the current economic climate or specific requirements from employers. While it may feel discouraging at times, it's important not to lose hope.

I've often felt like is it me because I never heard back from jobs I applied for. I also have no experience which I feel was a huge contributing factor to this. 

Applying got my mental health bad so for now I'm staying as I am with my benefits and trying to enjoy my life and my hobbies. 

Best of luck with your job searching but please don't get disheartened if you don't hear back. It's their loss at the end of the day. 

You definitely aren't alone in this.