Question about an outdated way of diagnosing Autism Spectrum Disorder, such as Pervasive Developmental Disorders, for example.

Why do some people in the autistic community say that diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome or other Pervasive Developmental Disorders are not used anymore? Some countries and even in some places in USA can still use the old DSM version or old version or ICD. So why?

Parents
  • The use of Asperger’s Syndrome and PDDs has been largely replaced by the unified category of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in the DSM-5 to standardize diagnoses and better reflect the spectrum nature of autism. Some places may use older classifications, but the trend is towards the updated, broader category.

Best Regards,

https://www.the-disneyhub.com

• It is confusing, especially for those of us who were diagnosed as one thing and now find ourselves being told its something else. On the whole I do agree with ASD as the umbrella term, but its also broken down into many sub catagories within and ASD diagnosis. My biggest problem with ASD is the D, disorder, I dont' feel disordered and I feel its discriminatory.

• To some it can be a disorder, it depends on the autistic person.

Reply Children
No Data