Right to choose

Has anyone been diagnosed through right to choose just for assessment and then been refused therapy or medication through NHS?

Parents
  • Under right to choose, patients can only be referred to providers that already have an NHS contract to provide that type of service. There's no reason why any recommended therapy or medication should not be supported via the NHS.

Whilst Fibonacci Squid is, of course, correct in saying that there is no medication for autism, assessors may still make recommendations in respect of medication for related conditions such as depression and/or anxiety - as they did in my case, for example. My GP issued the prescriptions accordingly and also arranged the recommended therapy.

• Under right to choose, patients can only be referred to providers that already have an NHS contract to provide that type of service. There's no reason why any recommended therapy or medication should not be supported via the NHS.

Whilst Fibonacci Squid is, of course, correct in saying that there is no medication for autism, assessors may still make recommendations in respect of medication for related conditions such as depression and/or anxiety - as they did in my case, for example. My GP issued the prescriptions accordingly and also arranged the recommended therapy.

Children
No Data