Where to buy good glasses?

Good afternoon I'm thinking of replacing my old glasses with new ones, but I can't figure out where to find an online store like this so I can quickly figure it out and see what's what? 

Parents
  • Depends how strong or complex your prescription is. If it's fairly simple, and not very strong or complex buying online would be probably OK. If it's moderately strong or moderately complex, say basic bi- or vari-focals, one of the big chains like Boots or Specsavers can handle some unusual stuff.

If it's a strong prescription (+ or - 10 diopters or so), involves axial tilts for astigmatism, or complex varifocals, a small local chain or independent is best. They will work with you to get the correct thing for your needs. Where the others tend to do what you ask them and no more.

Check which.co.uk for recommendations, you don't have to be a member to access some of their independent advice.

A friend with a complex prescription couldn't afford £600 for new glasses with complex lenses from her usual optician. Got a pair from a big high street chain for £300. They gave her headaches. Despite going back several times she couldn't get them to get rid of the headaches. She went back to her own optician to get the lenses re-glazed on her old glasses, thinking they at least didn't give headaches, but didn't correct vision perfectly. She found out from that optician that the cheaper glasses were tilted, forming a 5 degree angle to her face, instead of parallel like when they test your eyes. A combination of nose pad adjustment and bending the frame solved the problem. But the staff in the cheaper place had no idea.

• Depends how strong or complex your prescription is. If it's fairly simple, and not very strong or complex buying online would be probably OK. If it's moderately strong or moderately complex, say basic bi- or vari-focals, one of the big chains like Boots or Specsavers can handle some unusual stuff.

If it's a strong prescription (+ or - 10 diopters or so), involves axial tilts for astigmatism, or complex varifocals, a small local chain or independent is best. They will work with you to get the correct thing for your needs. Where the others tend to do what you ask them and no more.

Check which.co.uk for recommendations, you don't have to be a member to access some of their independent advice.

A friend with a complex prescription couldn't afford £600 for new glasses with complex lenses from her usual optician. Got a pair from a big high street chain for £300. They gave her headaches. Despite going back several times she couldn't get them to get rid of the headaches. She went back to her own optician to get the lenses re-glazed on her old glasses, thinking they at least didn't give headaches, but didn't correct vision perfectly. She found out from that optician that the cheaper glasses were tilted, forming a 5 degree angle to her face, instead of parallel like when they test your eyes. A combination of nose pad adjustment and bending the frame solved the problem. But the staff in the cheaper place had no idea.

Children
No Data