I have always had an internal voice like a narrator in my head of my own voice

Hi everyone 

Through out my life because of my autism I have always had an internal voice like a narrator in my head of my own voice.  I find it really difficult to switch off as it constantly scripting future conversations with people.  I have try doing mindful activities to make it stop and it make hard to sleep at night.  I was wondering if anyone had advice on it?  

Parents
  • The most shocking thing to me - more shocking than the possibility that there may be alien life out there - is that there are people who do *not* have an internal monologue. I can't wrap my head around that. I spend every day (and most of the night) bickering with myself and over-analysising and ruminating and conjuring the worst and the best case scenarios. Being autistic is exhausting.

• I agree Neil, I wonder how people process their thoughts, without self talk? Do they not mentally repeat the steps needed to complete a new task that they've learnt or are learning how to do?

I don't think it's a sign of a schitzoid illness, not always, anyway, although they can be, I think it depends on whether the hearer precives them as coming from outside of the self, that tends to be more problematic than when you know they come from within the self. I've spoken to many people who've been worried sick by their self talk, afraid they've got a serious mental illness. But even if the voices are percieved as coming from outside the self it dosen't automatically mean that "it's bad", the person could be a medium or something similar? I know the purely scientific among you will start jumping up and down, but it does happen and some people genuinely do pick up on things outside of "normal" perception.

• Several times Co in my whole life I heard some sort of voice in my head, that was inside (I’m aware of that) but I felt it like coming from outside. Interrupting my thoughts and talking to me. These were short moments, during which I heard and saw and also felt events that did not happen yet. They happened later. In autumn 2018 I saw something that I described as dead cities. There was no sign of war, no damages to the buildings, no blood, no weapons. Everything was closed. Empty streets. I got scared, I already knew that if I see and feel such things, probably something gonna happen. I asked myself, is it gonna be apocalypses or what? Then I heard that voice telling me, that these events may affect my ability to graduate. I was lucky to graduate in February 2020 just two weeks before the lockdown. Am I Crazy? There were much more visions or strange things I perceived somehow and they happened. Mostly related to me personally or someone who I know. Sometimes it happens that I meet a person at work and I get a feeling about their future. And later it happened. For me it’s hard to believe in such things but unfortunately I have no explanation. I’m probably psychically sick. 

• Several times Co in my whole life I heard some sort of voice in my head, that was inside (I’m aware of that) but I felt it like coming from outside. Interrupting my thoughts and talking to me. These were short moments, during which I heard and saw and also felt events that did not happen yet. They happened later. In autumn 2018 I saw something that I described as dead cities. There was no sign of war, no damages to the buildings, no blood, no weapons. Everything was closed. Empty streets. I got scared, I already knew that if I see and feel such things, probably something gonna happen. I asked myself, is it gonna be apocalypses or what? Then I heard that voice telling me, that these events may affect my ability to graduate. I was lucky to graduate in February 2020 just two weeks before the lockdown. Am I Crazy? There were much more visions or strange things I perceived somehow and they happened. Mostly related to me personally or someone who I know. Sometimes it happens that I meet a person at work and I get a feeling about their future. And later it happened. For me it’s hard to believe in such things but unfortunately I have no explanation. I’m probably psychically sick. 

Children