National Service

I see this old chestnut has come to the fore again. I can see problems with it.

Does the military want all these people for a year or so and what will they do with them?

If people are made to volunteer for things like life boats, special constables and library assistants, will it mean that the training for such things will outlast the service time?

Will real jobs be at risk because people are volunteering?

If theres no sanctions how will they make people do it?

Will it mean that those currently on benefits will be sanctioned for not "doing their bit"?

Will this idea have mission creep? If not enough people volunteer, will some kind of sanction be imposed?

It all sounds desperate to me, like a political party flailing about to find vote winning policies that are ill thought out.

It won't come in until 2029 anyway, just in time for another election, hmmm?

Parents
  • the military he pledged only 30k places for in this idea....

we have 70k troops.... cut from 100k.... by making this national service with 30k places all he does is get the troop count back up to 100k where the tories cut it from in the first place...  so yeah, its pointless.... just get us the real regular troop count back up to 100k instead... if national service doesnt give us a force in the millions its not worth doing.

• the military he pledged only 30k places for in this idea....

we have 70k troops.... cut from 100k.... by making this national service with 30k places all he does is get the troop count back up to 100k where the tories cut it from in the first place...  so yeah, its pointless.... just get us the real regular troop count back up to 100k instead... if national service doesnt give us a force in the millions its not worth doing.

Children
No Data