Struggling with my late diagnosis

I finally got diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder at the age of 38. I met all of the criteria very easily. He was almost going to diagnose me with level 2 because of how severe my social difficulties are, but in the end said level 1 makes more sense since I am able to be independent now.

I don't have anyone to talk to because I don't have any friends and haven't told my family. I honestly don't know how to feel about it (and I generally struggle to know what I'm feeling anyway). But I'm pretty sure I feel bad.

I keep thinking how I wish I was diagnosed earlier so that I could have had support in education and work, and if I had known about it, maybe I could have learnt to be social and had therapy or training etc, instead of trying to work it all out for myself and failing.

Then sometimes I feel like a fraud and wonder if I somehow tricked the doctor into diagnosing me. But everything that was said was true. I think I just feel like that because it seemed so easy to be diagnosed, I was expecting more push back because of self-doubts.

The doctor who diagnosed me told me I should try to go to meet ups for autistic people because there are lots of people out there like me who I would get on with, and who might have the same special interests. But I'm afraid, and I think they would all be younger than me. I wish I didn't waste my life being alone, it feels like it's too late.

Did anyone else feel any of these things after being diagnosed as an adult?

Parents
  • Hi Paper

Are you working at the moment? If so and you are having any problems with the working environment, you are entitled to reasonable adjustments.

Most of us adults on the spectrum have experienced "feeling like a fraud" - also known as imposter syndrome. But you only have to read a few posts on here to see you fit in.

It's never too late to try anything. I didn't go abroad until I was 39. That wasn't due to autism (as I hadn't a clue about that until I was in my fifties) - it was more due to poverty, and the low cost airlines which started in the early 2000s that made flights cheap.

Hope you find the forum useful.

• Yes, I am working. I am lucky to work from home because an open plan office environment was pure hell for me and led to such extreme burnout and I was not able to cope with it at all.

I am hoping they will provide me with a letter to give to any employers in the future if they mandate me to go into the office.

• Yes, I am working. I am lucky to work from home because an open plan office environment was pure hell for me and led to such extreme burnout and I was not able to cope with it at all.

I am hoping they will provide me with a letter to give to any employers in the future if they mandate me to go into the office.

Children
No Data