Autism & Benefit Help

Hi everyone i'm currently claiming universal credit for my autism as I can't work atm so this means that I can't really contribute towards paying my parents rent. I was just wondering about how I would go about this and would I be entitled to housing benefit as obviously I already have a claim with them. 

Thanks Amy x

• universal credit incorporates all benefits such as housing and job seekers.

you can get housing through universal credit.... but youd have to provide and prove you have a rent requirement and a rental bill or something..... if they know you live with parents im not  sure it would work as theyd expect parents to keep you for free and wouldnt see the parents as a landlord that expects rent.

• Hi Amy,

If you are of working age (ie not pension age) then you would no longer be eligible for Housing Benefit and help with rent would come through Universal Credit.

Though to get this help you would need to be liable for the rent and it sounds as though your parents are liable - not you. 

You would need to be added as a liable person on the tenancy agreement for you to be considered in getting help through Universal Credit.

If you are not liable for the rent at present  then you are considered to be an adult (though I am not certain of your age) living in your parents household also known as a Non-Dependent and would not receive the rent element of Universal Credit.

Sorry.

James